SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2007 Saab 9-3 4 door. Automatic trans. It has 130k miles now. Got it with 90k miles I think In 2014. It was my daily for a few years then It didn’t get driven much.

So today I took it in to the dealership for the airbag recall and I mentioned to them that the car has a shake around 70mph but it goes away around 80mph. They noticed I had just put on new tires and initially said it’s probably in the wheels that they weren’t balanced correctly as a possibility.

When my mother picked the car back up they gave her a worksheet but no part number and it read “front coil spring broken left hand side-vehicle unsafe to drive”

They quoted $950.00

Can anyone recommend where to get the coils? Does this mean I have to get the whole assembly? And should both sides be replaced at the same time?

Also will the auto parts stores parts work or should I get original oem parts only?

If you can provide me a part number that would be appreciated and also how much can I expect to pay in just labor after I buy the parts myself? That Saab dealer charges $200.00 an hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Provide vin number, u dont have to replace both sides or replace the complete assembly, thats ur choice ..
The coil will cost u between 50-100$ try eeuroparts.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

My vin is ys3fd49y271146007

Yeah I’d rather go the cheapes route since the car is not worth that much but I also want it to get done right

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate it very much

I’m going to order the pair to have both replaced. What is a fair rate at a shop for labor?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Im not in us, but i know from friends its anywhere between 70-100/hour
Job require 1.8 hours for both sides

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I was talking to a Saab mechanic that has done work for me in the past and he says to also order the strut mount bearing and upper mount. Do you guys think it’s necessary? He said sometimes they go bad and if the upper mount is bad it will cause a clunk like noise. I think I will also replace those. With those it comes to 300.00 or would it be a better idea to buy the whole strut?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
If you buy complete struts the labor will be way less. Plus you’ll have new shocks up front as well.
esaabparts.com has complete strut kits. You’ll also want to change the drop links on the sway bar while stuff is apart. Worth doing if they haven’t been done recently.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
For the coil spring should I stick with oem Saab part or will suplex be ok?

Also looking at the strut mount plate part number 13188763

Now I found oem for 64.99 as seen here

And then I found a cheaper, maybe Chinese part for 19.04 ad seen here

Is a strut mount a strut mount? Or should i not cheap out on the quality of the part? I’m willing to pay the price if it makes a difference but if it’s basically gonna be the same thing them of course I’d like to save

And same question with the bearing part number 13270705

Basically should I order all oem or aftermarket ok for these parts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after some research I’ve decided to replace both driver and passenger side because it’s highly recommended for many reasons

Now I came across these

https://www.1aauto.com/2003-10-saab...pring-assembly-pair-trq-sca57364/i/1assp01477

Had anybody ran these? What are your thoughts on them whether you have or not?

If I decide to replace just the coils I’ve decided to go oem instead of the suplex brand but I’d be up in the air for the 60 oem upper mount vs the 20 aftermarket

Im leaning towards the whole assembly frr t on 1aauto if anyone can help though

·
Registered
939 Posts
Eeuroparts used to sell a set up like that with quality parts. I wouldn't buy what you listed.

If you do the springs, I would do the struts at the same time.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
One important note about the kits from esaabparts and eeuroparts is that they include all new bolts etc. . Technically, the two large bolts that secure the struts to steering knuckle are intended to be single use bolts.

The kits are really the way to go for a DIY project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One important note about the kits from esaabparts and eeuroparts is that they include all new bolts etc. . Technically, the two large bolts that secure the struts to steering knuckle are intended to be single use bolts.

The kits are really the way to go for a DIY project.

So would you not recommend the kit from 1aauto?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I personally would not use them. No real idea of what parts make up those assemblies. Particularly the struts themselves. esaabparts uses Bilstein and eeuroparts uses Sachs (OEM supplier) as standards.

I’m sure they will work and fit but no idea of how long they will actually last. The original struts in my 04 convertible were still ok after over 100k miles. I replaced them anyway. I used a kit from eeuroparts on my daughters 08 sedan and they have been great.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I’m not trying to be cheap. I’m never cheap when it comes to my cars but this car in particular is just not worth that much. I don’t want to dump too much money into it.

My other option is to just replace the coil springs and upper mount and bearing using the oem parts but would I be gambling on the shocks themselves?

·
Registered
939 Posts
"Would I be gambling on the shocks themselves?"

Yes. I reused struts after changing springs, and one failed a couple of weeks later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I went ahead and made the move and ordered these

They got 11 good reviews on Amazon. I’m hoping their not fake reviews. I figured instead of rebuilding I’d have all new parts. Yeah may not be quality but but how bad can they be? They should last 50k miles I’m guessing

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
See this link.

I've done an insane amount of research for the front springs on my 04 and the ones that you get may not be the ones you want because of the ride height. My car looked like an Outback. The original part number is no longer available so Saab recommends a newer part number but the car looked ridiculous. No easy answers here if you go with OEM.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sheet. I think at this point I’m going to run them anyways because of the hassle of returning. Hopefully it doesn’t look that ridiculous.

Dumb question but there is no other way to adjust the ride height is there?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts