SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
50K miles.
Recently overheated and had head replaced/repaired under warranty.

Upon return car runs great for months.
Then the dreaded stability control stabilization light came on.
Then car would start but would not idle and eventaully choke off.
If I kept at it enough, revving engine and restarting after cutting out I can get it to idle smoothly.

Thenit will run but leave second gear. Stuck there.
It is an automatic but I can tell by using the manual mode.

This happened once before and I replaced battery thinking not enough juice or something. It seemed to work as the car ran fine for months.

Then back again.

Mark

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Well you've got something going on and needed it properly diagnosed by a Saab tech with a Tech II.

Are you the original owner and how did you get it covered under warranty? In service date just under 5 years?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You might have a couple of issues going on here.

1) Stability Control Failure and "Limp Home" mode (transmission stuck in second gear) has been attributed to an intermittent problem with the steering wheel angle sensor in the CIM. There's a few of us Aero owners that have had this issue, myself included. Pulling the negative battery cable to reset the ECU will fix it for a while (which is what you effectively did when you replaced the battery). Mine has never been frequent enough for me to replace the CIM, but others have and it seemed to fix their problem.

2) Idle issues. Does this only happen on a warm restart after the car has been sitting for an hour or so, or does it happen on cold starts too? The warm restart issue is common to this motor and has been linked to higher sulfur content in US fuels. It can also be linked to bad ignition coil(s). I recently replaced all my coils and plugs and this helped the idle issue immensely. Mine never stalled before, but it came close a couple of times. Did they reuse your original plugs and/or coils when they redid the head or did you get new ones?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts