SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 Saab 9-3 about 3yrs ago, and it had the dreaded intake valve problem. I bought it cheap, so I just flipped it and continued driving my 2003 9-3. (Yes, I told the new owner about it).

That car had maybe 80K miles on it. It was plainly obvious that the car had a major problem. My question is this: I see these cars with 150-200K miles on them, and I ask the owner if they have gotten the intake valves done. A lot of them tell me that they never had a problem, so no they didn't.

Can anyone explain this? Were some of the intake valves actually good coming from the factory?

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Not all were affected.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I always thought its related to fuel composition.

Here in the middle-east 0% valve issue..

Actually saw a couple of exhaust valves going bad .. but no intake ..

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Intake valve problem do not exist in BioPower models.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Are there stats on this? What % were affected? Also, does that mean that the ones that weren't affected had a different valve from the factory?
unknown
unknown
unknown

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
I was also wondering if it was only the B207R, or were the B207L and B207E engines affected by this problem as well?
My thoughts.....

2007 brought about "2000 changes" according to something I read long ago. I think it also brought about a change in suppliers to the intake valve manufacturer to a lower bidder who duped them. I don't have a background in automotive manufacturing but seeing as how some people have shown valves in the same head with no abnormal wear and some completely razor sharp leads me to believe either....

1. First in first out was not used in trollhaten, or
2. Lot numbers were mixed up and good got put in with bad, or
3. manufacturer equipment produced multiple valve at same time. one end of equipment didn't produce properly giving 1/10 or 2/10 valve bad, so it was all same lot but only x% were manufacture correctly. Someone with a background in metallurgy and/or auto mfg might be better to explain.

Why is it so prevalent on this forum? Because in 2007 we only has B207R motor (and the unaffected B284) in North America. Seeing as how this forum is 90%?? USA dominated it makes sense you see this more common on this site vs something like UKSaabs. There wasn't a biopower motor here in 2007 so we would never have gotten those better valves. I tend to think they made the cars in batches by market as well, so maybe the USA car motors just happened to be the unlucky ones made when the bad valves were introduced.

I don't believe it is a fuel composition issue or you wouldn't see some valves affected and some not in the same head.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Thanks Diggs.

Sounds like Russian roulette then. How many miles can be put on a 2007-2011 2.0 before you can rule out that it might have the valve problem? In other words, would symptoms have surely emerged by say, 100K?

It's relevant to anyone buying a used 2007+ 9-3.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Wow. Thanks Diggs.

Sounds like Russian roulette then. How many miles can be put on a 2007-2011 2.0 before you can rule out that it might have the valve problem? In other words, would symptoms have surely emerged by say, 100K?

It's relevant to anyone buying a used 2007+ 9-3.
It's relevant to anyone thinking of buying a 2007-2008. I would ask if the fix had been done. If so, then I'd buy it. If you can wait see if you can buy it in winter when it's cold. Metal expands. It might be fine now but hard to start in winter. Then you know eventually it will never start.

It's not a time thing, it's a use thing. Some failed pretty quick, say 50k, but I've seen some happened out at 120k. They just slowly get worse as they wear down.

If intake valves can't be proven to have been replaced:

1. Never by a 2007-2008 9-3 in summer
2. Never by one that has been warmed up. Always request cold engine. If you can, take a compression tester with you.

Or just buy a 2006 instead. Had the better, less GM interior anyways. ;)

2009-2011 doesn't seem to be affected with this issue. Maybe a few 2009s but not many. Don't think I've seen any 2010s.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I've been focusing my buying on mainly 2003-2006.

Wasn't the bulletin extended to cover up to 2011?

That's good to know, though, with regards to 2010 and 2011 cars. It might have been partly because not that many were sold.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Yeah, I've been focusing my buying on mainly 2003-2006.

Wasn't the bulletin extended to cover up to 2011?

That's good to know, though, with regards to 2010 and 2011 cars. It might have been partly because not that many were sold.
Possibly. Or goes back to....they just never knew.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts