SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to upgrade my basic radio/cd player to the one with the on-board screen?
I find the base model has very poor sound.
Also can i change the manual climate control unit to the automatic one?
And finally can i put in the saab cup-holder as my dash shows a blank?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You can replace your basic ICM1 with either ICM2 (green screen) or ICM3 larger colour screen), but this will not give you any added functionality or sound quality on its own, it will be purely cosmetic.
The 2003-2006 saab audio system is multi componet, connected together via a fibre optic network, the actual brains of the system is a silver box that lives behind the ACC controls, called the EHU (Entertainment Head Unit). There are also 3 different speaker configurations that vary the quality of sound too :
4 speakers - very poor/poor
7 speakers - poor/acceptable
13 speakers - acceptable/good
http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/SGFOG/catg-audio.htm will give you an idea of the different combinations if you don't already know.

Manual climate control to automatic can be done, I guess, but there would be a lot involved, not just the front panel. There'd be new motors, cabling, etc.

I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't be able to fit the cupholder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have taken the cd player out and replace it with an alpine head unit,,
the main radio part is still in place for the car sounds and so on,
i removed the stock cd and took the fibre optic cable removed them from the plastic holder and put them in a small tube facing each other so the link isnt broken..
then i ran wires to the doors and rear parcel shelf and installed speakers, next i wired up the new stereo ind slotted it in place, only thing i need now is 2 little plates to put at the side of the stereo to fill in the blank space...
i know have a top level alpine stereo in place and love my saab even more now

·
Registered
119 Posts
Damn stevedol thats a great link, I believe I have the 13 speaker system with the two amps and the screen but I would maybe want to upgrade to the nav, is it worth it? How hard would it be, btw I have an 04 aero

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Damn stevedol thats a great link, I believe I have the 13 speaker system with the two amps and the screen but I would maybe want to upgrade to the nav, is it worth it? How hard would it be, btw I have an 04 aero
You can upgrade to the Saab satnav, but with the amount of components and cabling required it's very expensive for a poor outdated system, (last map update disc was 2006).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts