SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my drive home one night my car gave me the "Stability Control Failure" warning. The only other warning (or tick) it has ever given me is "Left Turn Light Failure", it would just blink at a different speed than my other turn signal.

The next day it started but after my first stop it wouldn't even attempt to turn over. I had someone give me a jump and drove it home. I removed the batter and checked around for a loose ground but couldn't find anything, AZ told me that the batter was fully charged and in perfect conditions.

It currently throws up the ABS light, the Stability Control Failure, and the brake lights. It also (while in motion) makes my dash die and not tell me the temp, speed, rpms, etc. BUT it still drives and shifts. It also only starts after I hit the button on the positive terminal (barely).

SAAB repair shop told me it was the ECU bc they couldn't find anything else. I haven't had a brake job in a while and I'm thinking maybe it's a brake thing throwing the system off.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
The switch on positive terminal can fail. Disconnect ground and then move the cables on the switch to the other stud (basically bypassing the switch) and see if you still get same failures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The switch on positive terminal can fail. Disconnect ground and then move the cables on the switch to the other stud (basically bypassing the switch) and see if you still get same failures.
So I am hopefully picking my car up Friday and just driving it home to work on it. This will be the first thing I do lol, thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is your ABS module. Same exact issue that I'm having now and plenty of others before you. Heat makes it worse. You can always avoid a jump by knocking on the ABS module prior to starting.

See my post at http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681642

I just ordered a new ABS module today and will replace next week.
dougstrach , I read the threads and it seems that the issue is exactly the same. I can definitely relate to "christmas lights" haha no doubt my car flips out. Does the ABS Module have to be programmed ? If you could please send me a link to what you purchased for your 06'. Mine is the same, except for the fact that mine is a Manual transmission. I've seen threads for the Yaw module that seem similar. How did you pin point the ABS ? Anymore infor would be great.

I'm planning on bringing my car home Friday to see what I can do with it before dishing out like 2k + for the ECU.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dougstrach , I read the threads and it seems that the issue is exactly the same. I can definitely relate to "christmas lights" haha no doubt my car flips out. Does the ABS Module have to be programmed ? If you could please send me a link to what you purchased for your 06'. Mine is the same, except for the fact that mine is a Manual transmission. I've seen threads for the Yaw module that seem similar. How did you pin point the ABS ? Anymore infor would be great.

I'm planning on bringing my car home Friday to see what I can do with it before dishing out like 2k + for the ECU.
Any DIY tips ? lol on the install or test ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can send you a private message with my contact information if you'd like to discuss all these details.

Like you, I was thrown off as to how this could be the issue, since hitting the battery reset button, bypassing the reset or jumping the battery would get it to start. But the Christmas tree and dead dash are indications that there is a much deeper issue. Seems to be very unique to 2006 Aero's.

I just saw another issue this morning. It started, but no radio or turn signal sounds. Since the turn signal sounds are generated by the stereo, no surprise, but after multiple restarts, still no radio. Hopefully this comes back or may be another gremlin to find.

You can replace the ABS Module without removing the pump--so you don't have to bleed the brakes, however, it does need to be programmed. I'd like to do this in my garage, then run it over to an independent mechanic with a Tech2, but not sure if it'll start with the new part. Anyone else on the forum know the answer to this? I may have to start a new thread.

I purchased a $10 angle driver for a the torx bit since I didn't have this tool with the previous removal and it was a B*&ch. You have to remove the battery and the batter compartment to give you enough room for the effort.

I purchased my ABS module from OrderEuroParts.com, which is Countryside Volkwagen Saab Fiat in Minnesota. Bob is the parts guy. $700 total with shipping. You may need to buy a different part since you have the manual and may have hill assist. I think there are some VIN check tools to help you find the right part.

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
The no stereo is commonly water got to amp1 under drivers seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's been hot and dry here in Indianapolis for the last week or so. No chance of water getting in. Will check the fuses just to be sure, but with all the other intermittent electrical issues, this has to be related somehow to the P-Bus I-Bus issues that the ABS Module is causing, no?

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
It's been hot and dry here in Indianapolis for the last week or so. No chance of water getting in. Will check the fuses just to be sure, but with all the other intermittent electrical issues, this has to be related somehow to the P-Bus I-Bus issues that the ABS Module is causing, no?
No, radio is an obus issue. Can't see that they would be related but tackle the abs module first then go after the audio.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When it rains it pours! I was going to try and use some money I'm saving to buy a Tech2, but now it looks like it's going to Amp1 instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts