SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people, new to the forum. Looking for pointers and advice, please. Interested in an '06 Saab 9-7 5.3 with 208k km. Owner has done most of his own work on the vehicle and has had it since '10.
Body looks good overall, also under the hood and test drive. Will be switching from an '07 manual Pontiac Vibe, 156k km, unfortunately I developed "clutch foot", so need an automatic ir I would stick it out with the (Toyota) devil I know!
I remember owner has done rear suspension, brakes and roters, trans lines and other stuff I forget now but can post later. Concerned about going from a simple reliable vehicle to a potentially high maintenance, complex "luxury" one, though I realise parts are cheap and available due to Trailblazer/other platforms. What should I be asking owner/my mechanic and looking out for in the vehicle, please? It has lived in the salt belt. Thanks kindly in advance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The Trailblazer/9-7X itself is pretty reliable and parts are cheap. Given the mileage, I'd have them take a look at the center differential (particularly the actuator), front differential, and front carrier. The rear differential is pretty robust, but the front end parts, particularly the carrier, can wear. If the center differential has an issue, you can often feel it as binding during tight, low-speed turns. The replacement actuator is relatively inexpensive.

Salt belt cars can have significant rust on the front hood near the emblem/latch and also the frame. The frame welds in particular are poorly corrosion protected.

I'd also have them check the engine. If driven hard with low oil, it's possible to starve the engine and spin a bearing. This is less common on the 5.3, but very common on the 6.0. This is generally easy to hear, but can also be seen in an oil analysis.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a follow up, there was quite the engine tic under the hood, well on the drivers side. When I pointed it out to the owner he said he didnt hear anything, but I think he's a hard of hearing chev/gm 5.3 fan. When I researched I found out about the "galloping horses" business. I will if course check with the mechanic, but any other theories?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts