SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently we noticed when putting both of our 06' Saab's into park there was some shifter play. I did some searching online and someone mentioned using zip ties around the shifter cable end. I also filled up the gaps of the rubber bushing with Liquid nails. It felt good for a few weeks but not great. I was looking for a more permanent solution to fix the cars.

So I remembered we do share some parts with Opel/Vauxhall. When searching around I found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Trafic-Vauxhall-Vivaro-Nissan-Primastar-Gear-Linkage-Cable-Repair-Fix-/221986492290?rsta=en_US(en_US)&cnac=US&mail=sys&e=op&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&ppid=PPX000608&calf=9d88378166398&calc=9d88378166398&pgrp=main:email&unptid=4f5644a0-5302-11e7-a002-441ea14ddefc&mchn=em&t=&s=ci&page=main:email&cal=9d88378166398&cust=

So I ordered up two of them give them a try. I had to do a little grinding on the fork part of the bracket so it would fit all the way around where the shifter cable meets the endlink. Other than that it turned out perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super easy to do. Here you go:
1. Disconnect battery
2. Remove battery
3. Unclip the small fuse holder from the battery tray
4. Remove battery tray
5. Grind down a 1/4 on each side of the horse shoe shaped bracket and make sure it fits over your shifter link.
6. Slid on the top piece of the shifter endlink cover
7. Screw in both phillips screws to hold the shifter endlink together in one piece
8. Try moving around your shifter to make sure there is no interference
9. Reverse order to put everything back together

·
Registered
19 Posts
Install went way easier than I was expecting. I pulled the battery box out for easy access and just swapped the bushings with the help of a flat head screwdriver.

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
When this happened on my '03 I took the shift arm off the tranny, drilled it out on my drill press, tapped it, put in a long bolt, some big fender washers and one of those nuts with the nylon inserts so it won't loosen up. I did the same thing to a Mercury Cougar once and it held up fine. Total cost was under $10

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When this happened on my '03 I took the shift arm off the tranny, drilled it out on my drill press, tapped it, put in a long bolt, some big fender washers and one of those nuts with the nylon inserts so it won't loosen up. I did the same thing to a Mercury Cougar once and it held up fine. Total cost was under $10
You can't do this on this model. Different setup.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You can't do this on this model. Different setup.
I'd think of something. Drills, taps, dies and a good supplier of metal stock - virtually nothing you can't do. Remember, any excuse to buy a tool is a good excuse. "Um honey, I need to buy a milling machine and a lathe. Okay?"

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
I'd think of something. Drills, taps, dies and a good supplier of metal stock - virtually nothing you can't do. Remember, any excuse to buy a tool is a good excuse. "Um honey, I need to buy a milling machine and a lathe. Okay?"
Well, since there’s a part available to do the job for $30, I’d have to say that’s a lot more cost effective than buying a milling machine and a lathe instead!?! ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Would this solve the difficult to get into 5th gear? As my ‘02 Aero struggles to gate into 5th.
It’s a stir the soup and see if it goes in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts