SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm having a bit of an issue with my Saab 9-3. Whenever I get on boost in fourth or fifth gear, my engine shudders a decent bit, feels like a misfire. I also got the P1312 code, which pointed to either the plugs or coils being bad. I had previously replaced one of the ignition coils when it failed a few months ago, and replaced another one today with one from Standard Motors, part number being UF526. I know that Intermotor ignition coils are considered to be good replacements, and I believe that Standard Motors owns Intermotor. I do not believe the issue is from the ignition coils, but rather the spark plugs. When I pulled the spark plugs out to properly gap and clean them, I noticed one of them has a hairline crack in it. Would the issue be caused by the cracked spark plug? I'm hoping it is. Also, what is a good way to test ignition coils, just to make sure the other two are not on their way out.

·
Super Moderator
19,794 Posts
wrong coil
replace plugs too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well shoot, I thought Intermotor ignition coils were good. Do Standard Motor coils really not work, despite owning Intermotor?

·
Super Moderator
19,794 Posts
Never assume. If it doesn't have the stamping then likely not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darn. I'm going to replace the cracked spark plug and pray that it fixes the issue. If not I'm getting a refund from amazon and going to autozone, where I'll make sure the coil has the stamp on it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
For ease of reference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I replaced the spark plug, applied dielectric grease to the plugs and coils and cleared the codes. It seems to be running a good bit better now, code hasnt come on after about 20 miles wheres yesterday it came on after 2 miles. Now its able to be pushed through 1st gear to 4th without any stuttering, but on 5th gear it does jumble a bit. That may just be me lugging the engine a bit, and should downshift to accelerate. I'm planning on greasing the ignition wires with dielectric as well, as I have yet to do that.

·
Super Moderator
19,794 Posts
I've never used dielectric grease on coils.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea just was a experiment. Currently the code came up again, so I guess its refund time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I returned the Amazon ignition coil, and got 3 new ones from advanced auto parts, the Intermotor E1026. However, two of them do not have the stamping on it. Did I screw myself again?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I returned the Amazon ignition coil, and got 3 new ones from advanced auto parts, the Intermotor E1026. However, two of them do not have the stamping on it. Did I screw myself again?
I also had to go to 3 different Advanced Auto Parts as each store only had one in stock.

·
Super Moderator
19,794 Posts
yup. gotta be stamped. autozone duralast sometimes are stamped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I was able to return the two unstamped ones, and no more check engine light. Luckily I was able to get one good coil out of three stores. Now onto replacing the engine mounts, thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I was able to return the two unstamped ones, and no more check engine light. Luckily I was able to get one good coil out of three stores. Now onto replacing the engine mounts, thanks for your help guys.
Any engine and transmission mount recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
19,794 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts