SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New to Saab here, and new to this forum.

The Story:

Got into a car accident and totaled my 2005 Scion tC. Loved that car, but needed a replacement and quick and the 2006 Saab 9-3 seemed like the absolute best bang for the buck.

However one thing that has perplexed me is the install of aftermarket radios. Specifically double din units.

Now I've done some research and read forum after forum post of people wanting to do it, but it not looking 100% pleasing to the eye. Me personally, I'm not a crafting type of person nor do I own an extensive area of power tools.

So I called a semi-local car audio retailer here in Michigan an they actually told me that they COULD in fact do it. That the install kit would be a part from a UK company called "Connects 2".

They also then told me that they'd need to completely rewire the stereo system and add an aftermarket amp. The total of which would be just under $1000. I dunno about you guys, but personally that sounded a BIT ridiculous. Especially considering the fact that they'd be using an aftermarket stereo I already purchased from them years ago.

The Search:

Deciding not to go the route, I actually looked up "Connects 2". Here I was able to find the Double Din Facia Plate, Saab Installation Kit, and the ISO T-Harness for Amplified Vehicles w/o Navigation.

While they don't sell directly to consumers, you can in fact find the parts on eBay. However...I'm not sure what exactly to purchase. And another thing is that the install directions for the Facia plate seem to assume that I have the model that came with in-dash navigation when in fact I do not, so I'm perplexed on what to do.

The Road Thus Far:

1. Pic of dash and radio in car
  2. Local retailer says they can do it but need to rewire for a total of $1000
  3. I've found the exact same parts and can purchase them no problem via eBay
  4. I have no issue installing my own stereo unit
  5. Based off of my radio and the parts, I'm failing to see how these fit
As you can see, I REALLY did my homework here. So can anyone offer any advice on this matter?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Those kits look like they are for 2007+

2003-2006 use the same head units ICM1-ICM3, fiber optics communication.
2007+ use a bose system, double din and easily upgradable.,

·
Registered
531 Posts
Check my android thread -- you'll either do what I did (swap climate control positions) or remove the center vent for replacement. I posted diagrams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check my android thread -- you'll either do what I did (swap climate control positions) or remove the center vent for replacement. I posted diagrams.
Yours was actually one of the posts I viewed a couple of days ago. And that actually does seem like a decent way to do things.

1. Can't make heads or tails of those diagrams
  2. I've never fabricated anything before
  3. I'm guessing the links to the double din facia faces are for placing a unit in the below position like you did, correct?
Now I'm even more in the hole. I'm guessing this is all something that you do on a day to day basis, and not just a hobby you picked up? No way a regular person can just know all of that.

Is there an easier to understand "step-by-step" you can provide?

Also, how much would you charge to fab a climate control face for the repositioning below the vents?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I added a aftermarket stereo with bluetooth, GPS, backup camera etc in my 05 Aero convertible in the standard location...Here is a link to mine http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486770

Since then I've upgraded my front and rear speakers as well as added a small sub woofer. Also have changed the color of the trim that I made to the same matte finish the car has. The car sounds amazing it's not over the top with bass just enough.

I still plan on pulling the steering wheel and adding the steering wheel controls just haven't had the time to finish that part up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Djfremen

I would like help. I'm sure it's going to be an on-going thing for the next month for me.

My email is [email protected]. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
That's Incredible, I'd like to do the same with my Saab, but I've been told, I have to gut the whole audio system because its fiber optic. I'd love and advise you could give thank you very much

1 - 7 of 7 Posts