SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've always been a fan of the 9-5. Unfortunately, it has gotten very "long in the tooth." I like the new exterior re-design-it goes a long way to keeping the appearance "fresh." However, I'm afraid that minor interior and exterior changes are not going to be enough to keep this decade old platform from staying competitive in terms of handling/dynamics/performance.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I test drove a 9-5 AERO 5-spd before I bought my 9-3. If any vehicle needs a V6, it's the 9-5. The turbo lag is incredible.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Just some quick observations...

1. Pop-up headlamp washers: I assumeed the 2004 9-3 did away with them due to reliability issues. Are they making the same mistake on the new 9-5?
2. The front reminds me of another car...with the small grill on top & the smaller grill under the fender. I can't remember what though. I hate it. I don't like how they made the side grills part of the headlights instead of discretely part of the grill.
3. The steering wheel. Is this the new way Saab is making all steering wheels? Isn't that the same as the 9-3 sportcombi?
4. The foglights: I think they absolutely destroy the sleek lines. It reminds me of a Grand Prix, and makes the car look flabby & like it's hunkered down because it can't get in shape.
5. Body colored side strips: I like the black ones. Now it lack definition.

Just quick comments. Take em or leave em.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The 9-5 for '06 looks damn good. I think it's going to have it's own market just like the 9-3. In fact, it's coming in right as some '03 owners finances and leases are finishing, thus making for the inevitable trade in. My goal in life now is to get into the new 9-5 and out of the 9-3, mind you I'm only 21 but I love how the new exterior styling is on the 9-5. The back of the car looks awesome and the front kinda looks like an Audi but it looks better on Saab.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It looks interesting, but I'm not entirely thrilled. I am anxious to see one in person. I'll hold my jedgement until then. The interior looks a little generic, but is better than the extremely dated interior now, except is the SID gone?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to say this but it looks too much like a Chevrolet something from the front(outgoing impala? I don,t know), but I dont like it. Why did thay do away with the 3 segment front grill/opening and whats with those fog light openings? Designer could'nt decide between Acura and BMW and settled in between? Just my openion though.

Vip.

·
Registered
635 Posts
looks very much more like audi/bmw...especially the back and the foglights...

are they dropping the v6 into this also ? it says "aero has increased power"

id have to see more pics/in person. from the site, it looks pretty nice, im sure it already offers out of date features though.

Ps I dont trust saab pictures anymore...photochopped to hell and back. Look at the pic of the silver one with the surfboard on the top, the front wheel well is slammed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
ScoopSS said:
are they dropping the v6 into this also ? it says "aero has increased power"

Nope. Nothing's changed with the engine(same 4 cylinder). They just squeezed another 10hp, for a total of 260.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Looks good on pic (hope to see it very soon for real) but nothing original!!

The front remind me a little bit a Chevy Impala, and the rear got a Italian look like the old Mazda Millenia!!!

edit: But the wheels on the black one look fantastic!!:cool:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Viscouse said:
1. Pop-up headlamp washers: I assumeed the 2004 9-3 did away with them due to reliability issues. Are they making the same mistake on the new 9-5?
Saab loves to claim safety or reliability for reasons why they don't have certain features when it reality it's because they're cheap.

Here are two features that Saab used to not have citing 'safety', 'reliability' or 'environmental' concerns:

• Xenon headlamps
  • Express-up windows

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
clarkkent said:
I test drove a 9-5 AERO 5-spd before I bought my 9-3. If any vehicle needs a V6, it's the 9-5. The turbo lag is incredible.
No ****, I almost got hit test driving a 2002 9-5 Aero because of it...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
honestly, i think the current (outgoing) 9-5 looks better. it has the traditional saab marque grille, and a clean rear end. now, the front looks like EVERY other car on the market with the exception of the tiny grille inserts beside the headlights. in general, the entire front end looks like it's just full of bloated plastic. and the rear end...what are the saab designers thinking? if they thought they could emulate bmw's offset tail lights, they went about it the wrong way. bmw pulled it off because the offset is much greater, and they eventually made the raised signal light clear to give the red plastic a clean, even look. saab on the other hand offset them just a tiny bit...just enough to make the trunk/lights look like it doesn't line up quite right...why? in my opinion, it's unbelievable how the top designers at saab couldn't come up with something better than this. what a shame.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Cojoroh said:
honestly, i think the current (outgoing) 9-5 looks better. it has the traditional saab marque grille, and a clean rear end. now, the front looks like EVERY other car on the market with the exception of the tiny grille inserts beside the headlights. in general, the entire front end looks like it's just full of bloated plastic. and the rear end...what are the saab designers thinking? if they thought they could emulate bmw's offset tail lights, they went about it the wrong way. bmw pulled it off because the offset is much greater, and they eventually made the raised signal light clear to give the red plastic a clean, even look. saab on the other hand offset them just a tiny bit...just enough to make the trunk/lights look like it doesn't line up quite right...why? in my opinion, it's unbelievable how the top designers at saab couldn't come up with something better than this. what a shame.
I totally agree, I think the current 9-5 Aero is one of the best looking sedans on the market. I wouldn't buy this new one if I were considering the 9-5. I feel Saab and other European marques are now falling prey to the Japanese syndrome (both the 'overstyled' design ethic, AND the update-the-styling-too-often). Bangle started it with BMW, and so far he's been getting away with it, sadly. I fear this will be my last Saab, because if the new 9-5 is an indication of their styling direction, in my humble opinion they're now just doing 'me too' styling. Michael Mauer's departure to Porsche is reflected in this new design, his designs were very clean and unfettered.

I'll be selling my 9-3 Aero soon anyway and buying a Golf TDi for the commuter car, and I'll hang on to the older 911 for the 'fun' car, so if anyone's looking for a pristine steel grey, loaded 9-3 Aero, with an ITG air filter and BSR PPC, give me a shout. It won't be long before it goes up on AutoTrader.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts