SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I purchased a 2006 Saab 9-5, and was wondering how I could improve the car's overall sound system quality. I know it already has a great system to begin with, but I'm a bit of an audiophile, and am looking to create a more dynamic sound overall (especially in the low end w/ regard to power). Sure the subs can hit low frequencies, but it can't hit these frequencies with the booming fullness that I am looking for. Furthermore, I read in the 2006 9-5 manual that the 9 speaker 200 watt Harmon Kardon sound system boosts the high and low ranges. While this certainly increases sound quality, it leaves out the mid-ranges, leading to a very treble/bass-y sound.

I haven't read too much into exactly what I can do to rework this audio, but from what I have read, it appears to be somewhat difficult. So, what IS the best way I can get what I want? Do I replace the head unit? Replace the amps? rewire the system with new speakers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT - What I am looking to replace:
1. Headunit
2. Amp [are there multiple? i.e. seperate ones for the subs (and could I maybe add seperate ones for new subs?) or is there just one amp?]
3. Front end and door speakers (which brand?, how to install?)
4. Subwoofers (What brand for a dynamic, deep sound? how to install? should I get seperate amps for the subs, or will the new main amp be plenty?)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know the headunit was replaced/upraded in the 2006 remodel. I'm not sure about the sound system though. For my 2001 the best upgrade I've done has been putting Infinity Kappa 32.9cfs in the l/r dash openings. They have some great midrange, the tweeters are sharp I will warn you though. I like it(snare and percussion sound amazing) but some people may say they're shrill. I think people have also put in Boston Acoustic S35s in these spots as well with great results.

I believe there is only one amp in the h/k system(again not sure if its the same as my 2001)

My current project is to replace the stock 6x9 subs with CDT cl-69 subs, they are free air woofers, I'm doing this as opposed to just adding a real sub because I enjoy having a lot of trunk space. I'll be adding a small 200w aftermarket amp to power them.

also if you want more midrange why not just turn down your treble and bass on the headunit controls!

·
Registered
68 Posts
EDIT - What I am looking to replace:
1. Headunit
2. Amp [are there multiple? i.e. seperate ones for the subs (and could I maybe add seperate ones for new subs?) or is there just one amp?]
3. Front end and door speakers (which brand?, how to install?)
4. Subwoofers (What brand for a dynamic, deep sound? how to install? should I get seperate amps for the subs, or will the new main amp be plenty?)
I also have the AS3 sound setup and I asked similar questions not long ago.
I don't claim to be very knowledgeable on the subject, but after a decent amount of research, I've added an amp and sub and ran the amp to the stock head unit using a line output converter.
Do some research on subwoofer brands. Kicker, Rockford Fosgate and JL are some top notch brands. I landed on a cheaper MTX sub and a nice Kicker amp.
My next step is to replace the front door speakers (only because the driver side speaker went bad) and I'm just going to get a set that has similar power handling to the stock speakers.
I can't recommend any specific product here because I'm still trying to figure out what to get myself.
I'm looking for a set that will give me a hassle-free installation. Dunno if any such set of speakers exists! :lol:

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
I also have the AS3 sound setup and I asked similar questions not long ago.
I don't claim to be very knowledgeable on the subject, but after a decent amount of research, I've added an amp and sub and ran the amp to the stock head unit using a line output converter.
Do some research on subwoofer brands. Kicker, Rockford Fosgate and JL are some top notch brands. I landed on a cheaper MTX sub and a nice Kicker amp.
My next step is to replace the front door speakers (only because the driver side speaker went bad) and I'm just going to get a set that has similar power handling to the stock speakers.
I can't recommend any specific product here because I'm still trying to figure out what to get myself.
I'm looking for a set that will give me a hassle-free installation. Dunno if any such set of speakers exists! :lol:
All I can say is my AS3 in my 05 doesn't need improvement IMO. Listening to 15 min. long live sets of DMB on this system is cake. I would have a hard time believing other systems in cars of the same class can best this one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All I can say is my AS3 in my 05 doesn't need improvement IMO. Listening to 15 min. long live sets of DMB on this system is cake. I would have a hard time believing other systems in cars of the same class can best this one.
No doubt. I just wanted my bass a little more defined, otherwise I wouldn't have changed a thing except for that one bad speaker. D;

1 - 5 of 5 Posts