SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed intermittent shifting issues on my recently purchased 2006 9-5 (5MT, 105k mi, all stock). It's always been a little tricky getting into reverse (and seems even worse when car is not level). I used to have trouble downshifting into second, though that problem seems to have gone away since replacing all 4 motor mounts (not to mention significantly lower vibration in the cabin).

However, since replacing my motor mounts, it seems I'm now having intermittent trouble shifting into first. Sometimes it goes into gear easily, but sometimes it takes significant pressure or the shifter won't move forward at all, and I'm concerned of doing damage to the transmission by forcing into gear.

Since I've already done the motor mounts, my theories are (1) bad first gear synchro, (2) low transmission fluid, or (3) too much play in the shift linkage and/or gear lever bushings.

While doing the transmission motor mount, I did get a chance to inspect the shift linkage, and the ball joints did look/feel pretty loose - but I guess I don't have context for how "firm" a good shift linkage should feel. There's a couple millimeters of play in the ball joints, and probably a good 2-3 cm of play with the shift lever (left-right and up-down).

Has anyone had these symptoms on their 9-5 and/or done the shift linkage replacement? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
the shift alignment should be checked. Do you have a WIS?

or here is a photo step by stem diy story.
http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050325.Saab_NG900_Shifter_Alignment/?all

You put a pin in the trans with 4th gear selected, and try to insert one in the shifter housing. If the shifter one won't go in, you loosen the clamp and adjust it.

I would start with that.

If the shifter mechanism has plastic ball joints that are loose, you could replace the mechanism.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You add: when the car is not level.

Have you checked the fluid level per the WIS. Don't forget to remove the o'ring from the dipstick when doing this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@dlague - Yes, I do have a WIS, and have done the 4th gear alignment procedure. The pins slide in when I'm in gear, but I've read on other threads that sometimes further micro-adjustment is necessary (which I haven't yet attempted). Thanks for the photo walkthrough for this, since WIS often has gaps. For example, if I do end up removing my linkage, the WIS instruction (image attached) seems to oversimplify quite a bit : )

@1stsaab99 - I didn't see a procedure to check manual transmission fluid level with a dipstick, just to pour into the "fill" hole until fluid spills out the "check" hole. But I agree the not-level symptom might mean I should look into this direction anyway..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My mistake, I thought you had an automatic, carry on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts