SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hm...I wonder if we can just fit a new box intead of ours. If any of the dealers around you have new 2006's on the lot-can you check if Onstar is installed?

Thank you for contacting Saab!

Thank you for your interest in the SAAB 9-3. Hirsch Performance parts and
Bluetooth technology are not available from SAAB Cars USA for use on SAAB
vehicles in the US. Digital OnStar should be available for the 2006 SAAB 9-3.
There has been no information released regarding upgrade kits for previous SAAB
models.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Mike Barmore
SAAB Cars USA

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm still under warranty for 3 more years/35K miles. I wonder if I wait about 6 months and then my OnStar box has a little "accident"? You know, falls on a knife several dozen times or something like that!?? :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
GM made a big thing a couple months ago saying that they would have OnStar across all their product lines for 2006.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Just saw two 2006 9-3SS's at my dealer this afternoon. I wasn't looking for that, but I didn't notice any onstar buttons on the dash. I was looking closely at the dash to see if there were any changes (nothing significant from my quick look) and would probably have noticed it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
squishmann said:
I still don't understand how XM radio is not a factory option for the 9-3.
I´ll tell you why. In most aspects, Sweden is a high-tech country, for instance, almost everbody in Sweden has a broadband connection ranging from 8 Mbit/s to 100 Mbit/s and it´s been the "most cell phones per capita" for quite some time (perhaps this is because Ericsson is a Swedish company). But in some aspects we are so far behind it´s not even funny. HD-TV premiers this fall in Sweden, and then only in one certain movie channel "CMore HD" which will air three times a day.. XM radio isn´t a factory option probably because we don´t know what that is over here :cheesy: Satellite radio with digital sound right? Don´t have it, probably wont get it in quite some time. HOWEVER, I agree that it should be an option in every market where you DO get the XM radio, that is, if they are sincere on turning the figures back in the right direction....

Very late, pregnant wife shouting. Bah :x

·
Registered
193 Posts
OnStar upgrade kits support

schernov said:
There has been no information released regarding upgrade kits for previous SAAB models.
Yes there has been ... I guess I forgot to post this when it came out. I just hope there is a decent and serviceable solution that is easy. I hope this includes the Verizon share plan that other folks are able to take part in. That is to share a hand held cell unit with the built-in unit in the Saab.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/explore/onstar_basics/helpful_info.jsp?info-view=tech_equip

Other links: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=onstar+upgrade+digital&btnG=Search

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It seems once the 2006 9-3SS (w/OnStar) is widely available then it may be possible to get an OnStar subsidized upgrade by purchasing 3 years of service (paying $600 to get upgraded essentially). Whether or not this will apply to SAABs is probably too early to tell but you'd think the dealers will have to have a supply of the replacement units for 2006+ 9-3s so would be capable of doing the upgrade. Would I pay ANOTHER $600 to actually make the built-in phone function as intended in my car (and switch to Verizon from Cingular)?

I'd be hesitant at this point, but if the Verizon set-up won't work then there is NO reason to even give OnStar a second thought.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/downloadable/en_FAQs.pdf
Q6: Which GM vehicles are capable of being upgraded?
A6: All GM vehicles equipped with analog/digital-ready equipment will be eligible for upgrade to digital equipment.

However, the timing of upgrade availability will vary, based on model year and specific vehicle type. Vehicles equipped with analog-only equipment will not be eligible for digital equipment upgrades. To check if digital upgrade kits are available for your vehicle, please contact your local GM dealership or call OnStar toll-free at 1.888.206.0031.

Q7: My vehicle has analog-only equipment. How does the wireless industry’s transition to the digital network affect me?
A7: The OnStar equipment in your vehicle will continue to function until January 1, 2008 on the analog network, which still provides the most extensive cellular coverage available throughout the U.S. and Canada. Analog-only equipment can not be upgraded to digital equipment. Subscribers with analog-only equipment will be contacted with additional information well in advance of January 1, 2008.

Q8: If my GM vehicle is capable of being upgraded, what is the process for having upgrade equipment installed?
A8: Digital upgrade kits are now available for some GM vehicles. Upgrades for these vehicles will be provided to OnStar subscribers at no charge with the purchase of a nonrefundable, 3-year OnStar subscription. To arrange for an
upgrade or obtain more information on digital equipment upgrades, please contact your local GM dealership or call OnStar toll-free at 1.888.206.0031. (The digital equipment upgrade program is currently limited to U.S. subscribers only. Canadian subscribers will be contacted prior to January 1, 2008.)

Q9: I would like to upgrade, but will not be keeping my vehicle for another three years. What are my options?
A9: At this time digital upgrades are only available with the purchase of a non-refundable, 3-year OnStar subscription plan. However, if you purchase or lease a new OnStar-equipped GM vehicle before the end of the 3-year subscription, you may transfer any remaining whole months of OnStar service to that new vehicle. At the time of your new vehicle purchase or lease, you will need to request the transfer of your OnStar service and must meet all
OnStar requirements for service with your new vehicle.

Q10: Will the upgrade to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment be paid for by my GM new-vehicle warranty?
A10: No, the upgrade is not covered by the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The upgrade is not required due to any defect in material or workmanship, but rather a change in technology within the wireless industry.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rando67 said:
Yes there has been ... I guess I forgot to post this when it came out. I just hope there is a decent and serviceable solution that is easy. I hope this includes the Verizon share plan that other folks are able to take part in. That is to share a hand held cell unit with the built-in unit in the Saab.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/explore/onstar_basics/helpful_info.jsp?info-view=tech_equip

Other links: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=onstar+upgrade+digital&btnG=Search
Ok, there is nothing specific to SAAB in these links...is there or is there no upgrade available now that 2006 have digital onstar?

·
Registered
193 Posts
schernov, I am trying to help answer the question but here are the answers as I recall them from my readings ...
anyone out there is free to correct!

'03 Saab - analog (only) unit in vehicle
= digital upgrade based on (answer) A8 (above) which is a maybe since the stated text says "for some GM vehicles." Now the term "some GM vehicles" and if 'Saab' falls under this statement can be left to interpretation.​

'04 Saab - have analog/digital (ready) units
= ~YES, upgrades available (answer A6 above). The answer stated "All GM vehicles equipped..." Now the term between interpreting "All GM" and if 'Saab' falls under this statement can be left to interpretation. I think the answer is yes.​

'05 Saab - Same???

'06 Saab - Digital units
No issue - (updated) digital unit.​

With other car brands having a stake in OnStar you would think it would have larger support. Car brands include: Acura, Audi, Isuzu, Subaru, and Volkswagen according to OnStar (its on the weblink provided). I only state this to provide the possibility.

With assuming the vehicle's architecture staying the same for a model, like they should, that the '03 through '05 are the same architecture. If that is the case and the analog/digital ready units are upgradable that we should be able to get upgrades for an '03 Saab. Which probably means a costly solution from replacing the analog only unit to a (analog/)digital capable one or to fully go digital.

You probably don't know anymore than you did before in getting an answer to your question but that the possibility of having an upgrade is there with evidence from OnStar that there is. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to GM/Onstar all 2003-2004 9-3s have Analog only. 2005 no onstar, 2006 dual mode digital/analog.
According to Viscouse, (he took the box apart). inside there is a Sony-Ericsson CM42 modem. According to manufacturer it is AMPS/CDMA modem, so GM/Onstar are full of crap saying it is analog only.
Hopefully there will be an upgrade kit.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Actually I had the opportunity to have a good look at the Onstar box and it is indeed an analog only box. It clearly says AMPS on the label of the phone module and the circuit board. The phone module with CDMA/AMPS has dual antenna but the Onstar box only had a single antenna. This is further strengthened by the evidence of software version markings on the ROM not visible to the naked eye stating AMPS.

In any case our earlier discussion about retrofitting phone modules with GSM etc is moot since the firmware does not support any other modules but AMPS. So we are SOL anyway. :roll:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
epsilon93 said:
Actually I had the opportunity to have a good look at the Onstar box and it is indeed an analog only box. It clearly says AMPS on the label of the phone module and the circuit board. The phone module with CDMA/AMPS has dual antenna but the Onstar box only had a single antenna. This is further strengthened by the evidence of software version markings on the ROM not visible to the naked eye stating AMPS.

In any case our earlier discussion about retrofitting phone modules with GSM etc is moot since the firmware does not support any other modules but AMPS. So we are SOL anyway. :roll:
S0 now the only option is to wait until 2006 ship with digital and swap in that new unit.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
None of this settles whether or not the boxes are "digital upgradeable" as was claimed at one time. We know they're not hybrid or digital-only.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thomjam said:
interesting as my 2004 'vert has analog/digital ready. made sure of it when I was back in the US on home leave and drove it.

Jaime
May I ask how you found that out?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Actually, GM can't make up it's mind what the 9-3 has. A rep at OnStar told me, though, that it's a custom Saab box and not the generic GM part used in other GM cars. Probably due to the MOST integration.

I'm fairly certain that a sticker on my car when I bought it said that the OnStar unit was "digital ready". But I can't prove it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts