SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end. My son was driving the car a couple of weeks ago when all of a sudden the SID went crazy with failures messages, ABS, Stabilzation, CEL can on.. After driving a while all of the warning light went off. A few days later while pulling out of the garage the car stopped running and would not restart. no turn over. We had it towed in and the Dealer replaced the battery and the there was an intermittent communication failure witht he CIM and reprogrammed/updated the CIM. Next day my son drove the car, parked it for a while and went he went to leae the car would not start. no turn over. Had it towed back to the dealer, it started right up at the dealer. They cannot find any issues. They kept is 4 days trying to duplicate the errors but it runs fine the whole time. My son picks it up drives it for 10 minutes, parks it and then drives home, 5 minutles into the drive the AB, Stabilization lights come on and CEL. I tell him to get it back to the dealer. next morning he drops it off, no lights on, no codes stored. The dealer cannot find any issues.

WTF!!

A mechanic is taking it home with a portable Tch2 plugged in to see what happens.

We have previously have the fuel pressure sensor warning but the fuel pump always checks out fine and that CEL code comes and goes occassionally

Please help!!!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Which dealer are you going to? What's been the $$ damage so far?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It could be worse. $400 so far for battery and CIM reprogram and inital diagnosis. The 3-4 days in the shop they didnt charge. I am unsure about this trip.

The car is not in Chicago

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it was not the CIM. The lights came right back on, $1200 repair for naught.. I'm pissed/ However, the car is fixed. it was a loose wire. It was fixed by another dealer locally.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So it was not the CIM. The lights came right back on, $1200 repair for naught.. I'm pissed/ However, the car is fixed. it was a loose wire. It was fixed by another dealer locally.

What wire was loose? I have similar no start issues. My car just got back from a shop that had it for a month and a half and they couldn't fix it. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
That's too bad. And update your profile, where you are and car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's too bad. And update your profile, where you are and car.
Thanks for your reply. I have posted with other threads to no avail. I am in Savannah, GA and there is only one shop that claims they can work on Saabs within at least an hour of here. The closest dealership that actually has a Tech 2 is about 2 and a half hours away.

I recently bought a 2004 9-3, auto. Had the car just a few days. It had some electrical gremlins when I got it, but ran and drove great.

The left tail light had a short, the fuel gauge doesn't work, the radio and SID are inoperable. I fixed the tail light and had the radio and SID working with a fuse change.

I went to drive the car to the gas station and the fuse to the radio/SID blew. I continued on with no problems. Got home and tried to put a new fuse in but it blew instantly.

I unplugged the amp under the driver's seat, blew again. Unplugged the radio, blew again. Unplugged the SID, blew again. I cut the wire just behind the fuse box and checked the radio side of the wire for continuity and the wire that direction wasn't grounded out. Checked for continuity on the fuse panel side of the wire and the wire tested out as grounded out. I hooked the radio side of the wire to the cigarette lighter wire and the radio worked but the SID did not. I hooked the wires back up as they were and just left the fuse out. Wasn't too concerned about the radio at this point.

I went to start the car again and I get nothing at the start position. Turning the key on gives me all normal electronics but the car does nothing when trying to start it. I tried moving the gear shift in and out of gear and tried to start it in neutral, eliminating the NSS, but still nothing.

I took the ISM apart and cleaned it and nothing. I tried jumping the starter relay with the key on and the car will turn over but will not start. Checked for shorts but couldn't find any.

I finally figured that I likely have an ECU problem and found a local Saab repair shop to take the car to. I just got it back after he had it for a month and a half and he couldn't figure anything out. He tried to put another ignition switch in but I don't think he knew how to program it because the key fob wouldn't operate the doors or trunk. He switched the old ISM back in.

Honestly, I don't think he even had a Saab computer, even though he said he did. My issue is the closest dealership that services Saabs and actually has a Tech 2 is about two and a half hours away.

I got the car home and tried playing with it some more. I don't have any wiring diagrams and cannot find any online so I'm not sure how things should be testing out anyway.

When I checked the output at the ISM as I turned it to start, I don't have any wire that acts as a starter signal should. I have two ground wires, one true igntion, a couple other ignition wires, one wire that reads 9volts with key on, one wire that reads 6 volts with the key on, and a couple that don't have any voltage and don't react at all as the key is cycled. It appears that something feeding the ISM is blocking it from sending the starter signal.

This led me back to the NSS. I was going to try to bypass it but I cannot find bypass instructions for an 04 model.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. As an aside, the battery is good as I swapped a high amp new battery from my diesel truck into it. Thank you in advance for any help/ideas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts