SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Saab lovers

I recently purchased a 2006 9-3 2.0T Convertible it has a light gray interior in decent shape, I have been using leather conditioner on the seats headrests like my wife uses body lotion and it looks great, with 1 well 2 exceptions.

It appears that the previous owner or may have had it detailed and they used something far too strong on the A Pillars, the paint or coloring is smudged off and both Pillar covers are sticky to the touch....

My question to you guys is, while trying to find replacement Pillar Covers
the ones I have found so far seem to be cloth covered with some sort of light fabric ( in the pictures online)

Mine are smooth plastic... Did it come this way or do all Saab`s have the cloth"like" covering on them ?

I will try and attach a picture or 2 and show you what i mean, the photo on the left is how they both (Pillars) look in my car now and the one on the right is what the advertised photo looks like......

Thank you all in advance :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,917 Posts
Hello fellow Saab lovers

I recently purchased a 2006 9-3 2.0T Convertible it has a light gray interior in decent shape, I have been using leather conditioner on the seats headrests like my wife uses body lotion and it looks great, with 1 well 2 exceptions.

It appears that the previous owner or may have had it detailed and they used something far too strong on the A Pillars, the paint or coloring is smudged off and both Pillar covers are sticky to the touch....

My question to you guys is, while trying to find replacement Pillar Covers
the ones I have found so far seem to be cloth covered with some sort of light fabric ( in the pictures online)

Mine are smooth plastic... Did it come this way or do all Saab`s have the cloth"like" covering on them ?

I will try and attach a picture or 2 and show you what i mean, the photo on the left is how they both (Pillars) look in my car now and the one on the right is what the advertised photo looks like......

Thank you all in advance :)
The convertible pillars are plastic, the sedan/combi are textile. For your car with the grey colored pillars, you need part numbers:

12832749 - left side

12832750 - right side

I recommend purchasing here:

https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/12832750

https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/12832749

·
Registered
543 Posts
Not covered in cloth and the plastic does have a lightly tacky surface so it's normal for it to feel slightly sticky to the touch. I would try cleaning it with progressively stronger cleaners/solvents. The worst that can happen is you ruin the finish, but you were planning on getting replacements anyway, so nothing lost.

·
Super Moderator
9,917 Posts
Not covered in cloth and the plastic does have a lightly tacky surface so it's normal for it to feel slightly sticky to the touch. I would try cleaning it with progressively stronger cleaners/solvents. The worst that can happen is you ruin the finish, but you were planning on getting replacements anyway, so nothing lost.
If I remember correctly, the a pillar covers on the convertible shouldn't be tacky at all, they are smooth hard plastic instead of the soft-touch coated plastic like the door handles.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That happens if you use some cleaners on them. I've had that happen before but was able to get rid of the stickiness with a stronger cleaner, can't remember what kind exactly.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
If I remember correctly, the a pillar covers on the convertible shouldn't be tacky at all, they are smooth hard plastic instead of the soft-touch coated plastic like the door handles.
Hey Eric. I can definitely confirm that they are covered I with some type of paint coating, and it peels off pretty easily. My '04 peeled badly, but the '08 seems better but not perfect. When I contacted Saab about my '04, they said it wasn't the soft touch coating like other controls and the door handles. But rather an anti glare coating to stop the sun from reflecting in your face, when the coating starts to peel the plastic underneath is shiny. Just another bad decision by the designers I guess. I clean them with a high end water free aerosol cleaner, and never put Armour All on any of these parts.

·
Super Moderator
9,917 Posts
Hey Eric. I can definitely confirm that they are covered I with some type of paint coating, and it peels off pretty easily. My '04 peeled badly, but the '08 seems better but not perfect. When I contacted Saab about my '04, they said it wasn't the soft touch coating like other controls and the door handles. But rather an anti glare coating to stop the sun from reflecting in your face, when the coating starts to peel the plastic underneath is shiny. Just another bad decision by the designers I guess. I clean them with a high end water free aerosol cleaner, and never put Armour All on any of these parts.
Good to know ;ol;

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you "swedespeed7" I just ordered them

I appreciate everyone's input , however "swedespeed7" nailed it..... The paint/ finish is shot on mine.... Someone must have used a far too strong cleaning agent and it ruined them..... So replacement is the right answer....

After they arrive and I install them , my next project is to attempt to add fog lights to my 9-3 convertible :)

Thanks Guys !

The convertible pillars are plastic, the sedan/combi are textile. For your car with the grey colored pillars, you need part numbers:

12832749 - left side

12832750 - right side

I recommend purchasing here:

https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/12832750

https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/12832749

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
My convertible is an 06
You need to update your info then. It just makes it easier to help folks when the info is up to date. I will try to post the WIS instructions for removal/replacement in a few minutes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.