SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yahoo ....... '06 Aero gets the same 2.5L turbo four boxer as in the Forester XT, and thus trumps the '06 WRX's 2.0T ! Even the new 2.5i base (no longer called Linear) ouput is better than the '06 base Impreza 2.5RS :D

"The 2006 9-2X Aero pays tribute to Saab's signature torque heritage with a new 2.5L turbo 4-cylinder boxer engine that makes 230 horsepower @ 5,600 rpm and 235 lb. ft of torque @ 3,600 rpm (up from 227-hp/217 lb. ft. last year). Seventeen-inch all-season tires will be available on the Aero. Sixteen-inch all-season rubber continues to be standard on both 2.5i and Aero models.

The former Linear model will now be called the 2.5i, reflecting the 2.5L 4-cylinder engine. This naturally aspirated engine is now rated at 173-hp @ 6,000 rpm, up eight horsepower from last year. Peak torque is slightly adjusted to 166 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm."

Best of all prices remain virtually the same as '05 :D

Read the rest here:
GM Media Online - 2006 9-2X Aero and 2.5i

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean if they do another employee discounts program ? Sounds like GM is cutting prices across the board so these official prices may be quite a bit higher than what the dealers will actually charge.

I'm just glad that for 2006 SAAB is trying to pull ahead of its Subaru partner by offering more for just a bit more if not equal to Subaru's prices. I'd love to see more Subaru switchovers to SAAB.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It seems sad that an extra half liter and only 3 horsepower. I guess it will just make it easier to bring up the power to the STI in aftermarket parts. I'm sure GM didn't want the 92x aero to overtake the new 93ss aero. I would take a 92x aero if it had a 6speed. I'm already looking for my next car, since my SS will be paid in 3 months.

·
Registered
96 Posts
boogyman said:
It seems sad that an extra half liter and only 3 horsepower.
Thing is, the WRX 2.0T has DOHC, and so does the STI 2.5T. The 2.5i has SOHC. Therefore, when you turbo the 2.5i SOHC, you're looking at around 230HP. And that is exactly what they did.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Seems that they'd have to write new software exclusive for the 9-2x to do this. I wonder if they are really just running Legacy GT software but saying it's only 230hp..is trumping your own sedans really that important?

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The '04/'05 Forester XT 5M pulled in 0-60 times just a titch over 5 secs (around 5.2-5.3 ?) while the vehicle is rated at 3,310 lbs. The current 9-2X Aero 5M is rated at 3,179 lbs. Even with an approx. additional 50-75 lbs with the 2.5L, the '06 Aero could easily match the XT's times (assuming similar gear ratios).

SaabaruRS said:
Thing is, the WRX 2.0T has DOHC, and so does the STI 2.5T. The 2.5i has SOHC. Therefore, when you turbo the 2.5i SOHC, you're looking at around 230HP. And that is exactly what they did.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are correct on the DOHC.

But according to Subaru USA site the WRX is still keeping the 2.0T. Perhaps their info hasn't been updated.
Subaru USA

Upon further googling, you are also correct on the '06 WRX 2.5T, I guess my excitement was premature after all ;oops:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2006.html#basics

Gambit said:
err... the 06 WRX will be 2.5T as well. :roll: and no the 2.5T is not SOHC... it's DOHC.:nono;

·
Registered
815 Posts
And about the pricing, where it says prices will be the same as 2005, that's referring to your MSRP. It's more bang for the buck, but the buck stays the same. If GM are true to their word, then the huge incentive scheme hanging around this model will have to go and it will have to sell on its merits.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The 06 wrx is going to have a 2.5T dohc engine along with a somewhat beefed up 5 speed. These are confirmed, so maybe the 9-2x will be the same. The new wrx sure is ugly though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
guys don't sweat the Forester XT 0-60 times. It was done by Car & Driver and it is a ringer. No one was able to duplicate those numbers. For some reason C&D car's are always faster. Maybe their test strip has a lil slope and tail wind? ;)

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Csaba and his boys are always up to somethin' ........

Gambit said:
guys don't sweat the Forester XT 0-60 times. It was done by Car & Driver and it is a ringer. No one was able to duplicate those numbers. For some reason C&D car's are always faster. Maybe their test strip has a lil slope and tail wind? ;)

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually don't mind it, the yellow reminds me of the C900T Vert. If the spoiler was black it'd resemble the SPG. Then add an Airflow body kit .......

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
SaabKen said:
Thread over at GMInsidenews on the '06 9-2X Aero. Not sure if this is a real project car or simply a darn good photoshop ..... sure whets the appetite tho' :D

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18420&page=2
That's pretty d*mn hot looking if the picture is accurate. Would SAAB make that significant of a change to the 9-2X when it is a short-term model, though? I have doubts as to whether there will be any significant changes to the 9-2X other than the new engine. Were SAAB to change the 9-2X in the direction of the photo, and were SAAB to upgrade the interior some, it might have a serious competitor in the hot hatch segment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
That's pretty d*mn hot looking if the picture is accurate.
The caption for the pic in the thread at GMInsidenews says:

"Here is a 9-2X derived VW GTI competitor I made a while back:"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts