SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trunk lid warning light on my dash has decided to remain on despite the trunk lid being fully closed.

I’m fully familiar with the broken wiring issue at the trunk hinge and I’m not seeing any broken wires that I haven’t previously repaired, so I’m wondering if it is the micro switch in the trunk latch itself.

Have any of you dealt with this issue and resolved the trunk lid open warning light on the dash remaining on? What’s the fix?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try slamming the trunk. If that turns off the warning, odds are the latch is the problem. It would be a good idea to clean and lubricate the latch as well, since it's probably dirty anyway.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try slamming the trunk. If that turns off the warning, odds are the latch is the problem. It would be a good idea to clean and lubricate the latch as well, since it's probably dirty anyway.
Thank you for the suggestion. I already implemented the slam the trunk closed test, multiple times, to no effect. And I’ve been diligent over the years in lubricating the latch. So for now my I’ve implemented my fallback position which involves the judicious placement of some black electrical tape on my dash. Fairly effective, but that slight glow still triggers my vehicular OCD. Thanks again for the suggestion.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I had problems with door locks on a 9-3 where a little plastic piece inside the door luck mechanism would break, causing a door ajar light to come on. The easiest fix was to go to a pick and pull yard, buy a used lock and install it

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Windsor. I am given to understand there’s a micro switch located somewhere in the trunk latch mechanism. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually made the repair to the trunk latch.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
You can see the microswitch on the latch here:

It doesn't look like your standard microswitch, so getting a replacement might be difficult, but since it's out in the open, you should at least be able to test it with a multimeter. It also looks like it's the only electrical component on the latch itself, so the two-pin connector appears to be a direct connection to the switch. That should be accessible if you take the carpeted trim off the trunk lid.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
As a suggestion, you can always do surgery on the trunk sensor switch circuit, either make the circuit open or closed, whatever mimics a properly closed trunk. Then your dashboard light will be out without resorting to black electrical tape.

The only downfall is you won't get the warning light if you do happen to leave the trunk unlatched. However, that's pretty much the case already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts