SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2005 Owners step in! - Need your help!

Ok, 2005 /06 model year supposed to have digital onstar unit. Can somebody take the time to pull it out and get the part number? Also, take some pictures of the connectors....
I am thinking us 03-04 owners with analog boxes might get away with just getting a new digital box "under warranty" :)

One more thing: 2005 are supposed to be pre-wired for TEL 1. Can somebody get the part number for the cable that goes from Head Unit to console? (not the cable that you get from accessories catalog - but the one that you plug this one into :) )

Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't think the cars get onstar again until 2006. When I bought mine a few months ago it wasnt even an option (neither analog or digital). I highly doubt it would get replaced under warrantee. If anything did go wrong with your unit I'm sure they've got extras of the Analog units, or would even manufacture more since they are cheaper to make.

I looked at a Pontiac G6 for the heck of it before I got the 9-3 (what a diff in quality!), and they still come with the Analog system. There is a sticker on the window stating this, and it even tells the purchaser that the analog system will be useless after (forget date) once the FCC forces everyone to make a full switch to digital. What was odd is that the date the FCC has set isnt that far off, this date has been in place a long time. I can't believe that they aren't putting digital systems in already.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
novacoke said:
I can't believe that they aren't putting digital systems in already.
.. you said it yourself, the analog ones are cheaper. These are automakers, not fashion designers. Somehow I think if airbags and gas tanks that didn't explode weren't mandated, someone would find a way to "reduce costs" by eliminating those options.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mbodo said:
.. you said it yourself, the analog ones are cheaper. These are automakers, not fashion designers. Somehow I think if airbags and gas tanks that didn't explode weren't mandated, someone would find a way to "reduce costs" by eliminating those options.
Theoretically, if we can get a hold of digital unit - do you think it would be possible to rig a digital unit from another car into SAAB?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The OnStar boxes in the 9-3 SS to date are hybrid analog/digital units that can be upgraded to digital when OnStar decides to make such upgrades available. I'd expect that to start happening in the next year or two.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sbl said:
The OnStar boxes in the 9-3 SS to date are hybrid analog/digital units that can be upgraded to digital when OnStar decides to make such upgrades available. I'd expect that to start happening in the next year or two.
Where did you find this information? I called onstar yesterday, gave them my VIN and they said it is Analog - no upgrade.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
There was an article in the OnStar magazine about it and telling you how to identify the difference. If you push the white dot button and it says "OnStar Ready", then you supposedly have at least a hybrid system.

The OnStar web site says you can push the blue OnStar button and ask the service advisor - supposedly they can tell. But I've seen several confirmations that the 9-3SS does NOT have the analog-only system.

The system we have is the one described as follows:

Analog/Digital-Ready: These vehicles operate on the analog network, but were designed to be upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment when available for that vehicle. Beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service will not be available on these vehicles unless the OnStar equipment has been upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SBL, thanks for the explanation.
The reason why I am asking is I am trying to wire my phone. Ideally I would like to use the Verizon-onStar plan, but that is not an option right now...

Do you know if there is a part number for the "375' cable that is supposed to accept the HF wiring kit that is sold for 2005 model year?

I have an O3,,,

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do a search on Tel1. I know there are quite a few guys that self-wired that option using non-Saab hands-free kits. As I recall the key was to get a hands-free kit that includes a mute function so that it will automatically mute the radio. This is to hook a handset hands-free setup into the built-in phone. You wouldn't be using the actual phone built into the car, just the speakers & mic.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TheKomoman said:
Do a search on Tel1. I know there are quite a few guys that self-wired that option using non-Saab hands-free kits. As I recall the key was to get a hands-free kit that includes a mute function so that it will automatically mute the radio. This is to hook a handset hands-free setup into the built-in phone. You wouldn't be using the actual phone built into the car, just the speakers & mic.
Yes, I read all the threads and I can get a HF kit with mute function. But I really don't want to rig it as my car is a CPO and I am not sure how the dealer will react to this. If I can get that 375 cable that goes from the HU ... that would be nice...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts