SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, sorry if I sound dim, but is it safe to temporarily pull fuse 17 out to turn off the check engine light, and if so, am I able to drive the car safely without the fuse? A quick reply would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Yes.
No, fuse has to be in, because it is ECU power fuse.

·
Registered
881 Posts
buy a OBD II. It's nowhere near as helpful as a Tech II that mechanics use, but in my case it has paid for itself many times over

It has a Clear CEL function while you are awaiting the repair, or parts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Hi, sorry if I sound dim, but is it safe to temporarily pull fuse 17 out to turn off the check engine light, and if so, am I able to drive the car safely without the fuse? A quick reply would be appreciated!
Yeah, don't just clear the code(s). Have them read. Most auto parts stores will read codes for free. The car is trying to tell you something. No point in clearing it until you know what it's trying to tell you.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
To answer the other question, you can probably drive the car while the Check Engine light is on, without causing further problems. However, there may be side-effects. And while some problems you can leave for a week or more, other problems may need fixing as quickly as possible to avoid further damage, or the engine not running at all.

Without the actual codes being read and posted here, it's impossible to tell what the problem is, and how urgently you need to address it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Most parts stores will read your codes for free. They want you to buy the parts from them. Quick story:

My '03 Aero had the Check Engine light on. I took it to an Auto Zone and had the kid behind the counter come out with his scanner and read the code: "PO134 O2 Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1. Sensor 1).

He immediately began trying to sell me an oxygen sensor. I told him that I would like to check on line for that problem because it could be other problems besides a faulty O2 sensor - like it could simply be unplugged.

I get home and do a search. Fellow member "dlague" wrote: "Bet you $100 usd it is the j16 connection near the ECU large connector."

After reading the thread, I determined that it was a $0.00 and fairly easy fix - open hood, pull off plastic cowl, remove ECU cover, find wire from pin #58. cut open shrink tubing. Cut out crimp connector, strip and twist wires together, solder, apply shrink tubing and a dab of silicone. Put back together. Done. No more code.

Autozone gets a no sale on the 02 sensor. But I need to do an cooling system flush so I'll buy the antifreeze from them out of gratitude.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts