SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am the owner of a 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear Convertible, and I can't seem to locate where this weird noise is coming from. It is not noticeable from inside the cabin with the windows up, but with the top down or from outside you can hear it loud and clear. When accelerating, a loud and continuous metallic ringing/chiming noise comes from the front of the car. The sound lasts for the first few seconds of accelerating. After the engine warms up, the sound seems to go away except if you accelerate quickly (like when going up a highway on-ramp). The oil levels of the car are just fine, and it has been recently changed. The car runs great other than this odd noise. I've searched around the forum a bit to find a similar problem, but no luck. Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
20,049 Posts
When it goes into boost? Like this? Watch the turbo gauge and listen to see when the tapping coincides.

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
check endfloat play in shaft(Turbo) if it's ok,i'd be then looking for stone/something stuck between the shield and disc..

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
did you spin it while listening for any sort of contact noise..what sort of movement was there,that shaft spins in excess of 80k rpm..

·
Super Moderator
20,049 Posts
It's not left and right that is the issue (most times), it's in and out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It didn’t move up and down and nothing seemed to be making noise. Another problem arose once I put everything back together. I drove around for a bit and the ringing was a little quieter, but the blower wasn’t working at all. No ac or heat. What caused this???

·
Super Moderator
20,049 Posts
What usually causes that is water getting behind the cabin filter housing along the firewall and getting into the fan speed controller/resistor and shorting it. Or a dragging blower motor will melt it or if it gets wet and rusts it goes bad and wont turn. maybe that is your noise? fire up car, turn on AC and look behind filter and see if it spins?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay I fixed the blower. I just gave it a little push with a screwdriver and now it works every time. Weird how when I’m trying to fix one thing another breaks! There is a metal cover over the right half of the turbo, and I would like to check the exhaust side, but along with the two bolts holding it in place, there are two metal rivets/pins that seem to be permanent. How would I get these out? I really appreciate all of the help. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,049 Posts
Your pic is too small and blurry but the heat shield is held on by those 2 bolts and then you pull up. IIRC they were like 10mm. Super easy to get off....unless they are rusted on.

Anywho, you should download WIS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts