SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd be the first to start this thread, just to see if there was anyone else out there experiencing some little annoyances like I am. So let me begin:

-Slight buzz/rattle on front doors
-Sticky power button frequently makes it difficult to turn on/off radio
-NXT button sometimes jogs through presets kinda funny (older model year owners have mentioned this as well)

These issues are certainly minor and they're things I can deal with, but I hope they can be resolved easily at the dealer. Other than that, everything's been great, and I'm still very happy I got a Saab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
The strange NXT button behavior was explained away as follows:
Any time a station changes its RDS information, the NXT button won't work reliably for it anymore. Just re-program the station's preset and it will work fine again. Has to do with RDS signal no longer matching what the radio expects to receive.

I just got my 9-3ss, only 200 miles and so far no complaints. Only minor problem is that occasionally the left door mirror won't move using the controls, but if you fiddle-faddle with it long enough it will start to. Not a big deal, since once you get it where you like it you can just leave it be.;)

I expect any car with a very stiff chassis to rattle... so far mine is like a vault, tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Interior Steering Wheel squeak/rub when turned slowly

I have a 2005 9-3 Aero and have a VERY annoying squak/rub on the steering wheel that sounds like leather rubbing on leather/vinyl when turning slowly. I have tried all positions on steering wheel, in/out adn up and down to no avail. It happens when its hot, and when cool, so nothing temp changes the scenario.

I have taken it in, and the dealer say's its normal. yeah right. Its too loud to be normal, and even driving on a road without your hands on wheel at slow speeds where the road will make the steering change causes the noise. It "seems" to come from the bottom side of the steering right around where the first seam is form the actual wheel attaches to the column. I have aslo tried bending/pushing the leather boot that for rubs at the steering column. Nothing works. Any Help on this???

MW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Auto Power Locks

It's not a real problem, but I'm used the the doors locking automatically when I hit 20mph in my other car. Is this a setting I can program in? Just wondering.
I have a 2005 93 Aero. Other than that I f#$&ing love this car!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
GriffinAero said:
It's not a real problem, but I'm used the the doors locking automatically when I hit 20mph in my other car. Is this a setting I can program in? Just wondering.
I have a 2005 93 Aero. Other than that I f#$&ing love this car!! :D
The dealer can set that in your TECH 2 settings. But only a dealer can do it. The customer friendly ones won't charge you for it, others will. Check out the FAQ for a full list of what can be set, before you go...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,945 Posts
MW, welcome to Saabcentral! I had this problem in my '94 900. There was a TSB for it, and would have been fixed under warranty. The issue was that the steering linkage was held by some brackets, and the brackets were bending out ot of shape a little. This caused the link to rub on the bearings, causing squeaking. I don't know if your issue is the same, butif your dealer is not making you happy, seek another. At least over the phone.

GriffinAero: This is a setting that can be changed, but not by you. It has to be done via the Tech II computer, only by the dealer.
See this for all the options in Tech II: http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/saabtech2.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Great

Thanks! I got mine at Ramsey Saab. Do they qualify as "friendly"? I don't have my plates yet and I can ask for that when I go in for them.
Thanks again.


Jet 9-3 said:
The dealer can set that in your TECH 2 settings. But only a dealer can do it. The customer friendly ones won't charge you for it, others will. Check out the FAQ for a full list of what can be set, before you go...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
The other day couple of strange things happened:
1) The auto power lock became unlocked by itself
2) The IP light suddenly became very bright (as if the dimmer is set on max) and then went back to normal.

Other than that I have the squeeky and noisy driver's door and B-piller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Viscouse said:
MW, welcome to Saabcentral! I had this problem in my '94 900. There was a TSB for it, and would have been fixed under warranty. The issue was that the steering linkage was held by some brackets, and the brackets were bending out ot of shape a little. This caused the link to rub on the bearings, causing squeaking. I don't know if your issue is the same, butif your dealer is not making you happy, seek another. At least over the phone.

GriffinAero: This is a setting that can be changed, but not by you. It has to be done via the Tech II computer, only by the dealer.
See this for all the options in Tech II: http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/saabtech2.htm
Thanks for the reply, but I think its more of a sound like styrofoam squeaking/rubbing when you turn the steering wheel slowly. If you turn if fast it does not make the same sound. I wonder if squirting some silicone in there would help or hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
GriffinAero said:
Thanks! I got mine at Ramsey Saab. Do they qualify as "friendly"? I don't have my plates yet and I can ask for that when I go in for them.
Thanks again.
Not really sure about Ramsey (But I know others here have used them and can tell you what to expect). I go to Reinertsen in Denville, and they are very friendly.

BTW, I see you're from JC. I grew up in Bayonne and went to High School at St Peter's Prep. Small world. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
squeek

MW, I have had this squeeking steering problem just as you describe. I have taken it in to the dealer at least 4 times to fix. Each time they readjust the steering column or something and it goes away for about a week then comes back. Sounds like a rubber boot or grommet needs some lube to stop. May look into it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
2005 9-3 SS Problems

First, let me say that this car is awesome. I absolutely love it. :cheesy:

It is such a step up from my previous VW's. :cry:

Two problems that I've had with this car and no other car are:

1. Strange, intermittent whine wile running the A/C

2. Condensation on the inside of the car (near dash vents) with A/C on high. I even double checked to see if I forgot to have the air recirculation on...it was.

Other than that, this car is sweet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I've been in Jersey City, the past 6 years. Love it. Have you been by Newport and the waterfront. You won't recognize it.

Thanks again!


Jet 9-3 said:
Not really sure about Ramsey (But I know others here have used them and can tell you what to expect). I go to Reinertsen in Denville, and they are very friendly.

BTW, I see you're from JC. I grew up in Bayonne and went to High School at St Peter's Prep. Small world. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
GriffinAero said:
Thanks for the tip. I've been in Jersey City, the past 6 years. Love it. Have you been by Newport and the waterfront. You won't recognize it.

Thanks again!
I go back to Hudson County every 2 months or so. Something's always changing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I have the same steering wheel noise, though only at low speeds. It is quite annoying, haven't been in for my first service yet so...


mwright said:
I have a 2005 9-3 Aero and have a VERY annoying squak/rub on the steering wheel that sounds like leather rubbing on leather/vinyl when turning slowly. I have tried all positions on steering wheel, in/out adn up and down to no avail. It happens when its hot, and when cool, so nothing temp changes the scenario.

I have taken it in, and the dealer say's its normal. yeah right. Its too loud to be normal, and even driving on a road without your hands on wheel at slow speeds where the road will make the steering change causes the noise. It "seems" to come from the bottom side of the steering right around where the first seam is form the actual wheel attaches to the column. I have aslo tried bending/pushing the leather boot that for rubs at the steering column. Nothing works. Any Help on this???

MW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Steering Wheel noise FIXED!!!!!!!!`

Well I decided to do my own investigating, and Im glad I did. SAAB said they were going to have to take the steering wheel out to find it yada yada yada, So I went down with my ear to find the source and viola! Its down by the firewall where the steering shaft has a rubber boot covering it. The rubber boot is EXACTLY what is producing the squeak/rub although when your sitting in the seat it sounds like its coming from the Steering wheel area itself!!!!! I just greased it up an the noise is Completely gone. If you test this your self before adding grease you will see the problem first hand!!! So the question is, how much per hour should I charge myself!!! ;-) I have attached a couple of pics.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Well done

mwright said:
Well I decided to do my own investigating, and Im glad I did. SAAB said they were going to have to take the steering wheel out to find it yada yada yada, So I went down with my ear to find the source and viola! Its down by the firewall where the steering shaft has a rubber boot covering it. The rubber boot is EXACTLY what is producing the squeak/rub although when your sitting in the seat it sounds like its coming from the Steering wheel area itself!!!!! I just greased it up an the noise is Completely gone. If you test this your self before adding grease you will see the problem first hand!!! So the question is, how much per hour should I charge myself!!! ;-) I have attached a couple of pics.
:D WELL DONE!. I bet you are very pleased with yourself. And thanks for passing this info on to all of us SAABers out here.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top