SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at installing a 9-5 rear vented disc upgrade on my OG 9-3 using the 2002-2005 aero 40/20 calipers with dual vented disks.

I pulled the calipers a long while back. While I was there I got the shields as I believe I can adapt them to the OG 9-3. They are kind of beat, but today I was in a yard that had a 2005 9-5 with shields in much better condition (it had non-aero single disc brakes, so no go on the calipers or disks, but I was only interested in the shields today anyway).

Confusing part is that they looked different. Looked much more "deep dished" to the back where it goes from the section that spans the rotors to the smaller holed section that surrounds the e-brake platform/hub. Could just be my perception, but they didn't seem to be the same as what had in the box "back at the shop".

According to the EPC, there was only one rear shield used from '02 to '05, so they should be identical. Were there any mid-year changes to the rear brakes? I don't see any chassis number breaks in the EPC so I'm guessing "no".

The car I found is a 2.3T Arc, confirmed 2005, YS3ED49AX53522033.

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Closing this out... I was wrong. The backing plates were exactly the same in this '05. I wasn't as familiar with the depth of the dishing as I thought I was. All is well in the world of known part references.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
Closing this out... I was wrong. The backing plates were exactly the same in this '05. I wasn't as familiar with the depth of the dishing as I thought I was. All is well in the world of known part references.
Whew! The Universe unfolds as it should! 🌈

1 - 3 of 3 Posts