SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, does anybody have any input on how the 06 and 05 aero's "feel" different? I know the motor is 2.5 instead of a 2.0....

thanks!

tranzlucent

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
SaabScott said:
Yes, just as the Subaru WRX's do.
no they dont. 05 had the 2.0 and the 06 had the 2.5. i'm pretty sure as i was about to buy one. go to saab92x.com and just see the differences between the 05 aero and 06 aero.

For 2005 the powertrain consisted of the following:

The DOHC turbocharged 2.0 L engine produced 227 hpat 6000 rpm, as well as 217 ft·lbf of torque at 4000 rpm.

For 2006 the powertrain consisted of the following:

The DOHC turbocharged 2.5 L engine produced 230hp at 6000 rpm, 235 ft·lbf of torque at 3600 rpm

as for your question when i test drove the 05 it wasnt as torquey and had a little bit more lag. on the 06 it felt more torquey while it had subtle lag present but noticeably less than the 05.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
mohooba93 said:
no they dont. 05 had the 2.0 and the 06 had the 2.5. i know i was about to buy one

I stand corrected ... but I'm going to dig further.
I was told that the 2006 model just had the engine tweaked a little more ...

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
----------------------------------------------------------
2005:

Linear = 2.5L 165HP H4 166 torque @ 4000 RPM
Aero = 2.0L 227HP H4 217 torque @ 4000 RPM

2006:

2.5i = 2.5L 173HP H4 166 torque @ 4000 RPM
Aero = 2.5L 230HP H4 235 torque @ 3600 RPM

So basically the 2006 Aero has more torque at a lower RPM, and im guessing that it would be more reliable in the long run to pull almost the same HP out of a larger displacement engine

SaabScott said:
I stand corrected ... but I'm going to dig further.
I was told that the 2006 model just had the engine tweaked a little more ...
Yes, the 2006 just offers two different versions of the 2.5L, no "new" engines were introduced... Essentially the exact same changes subaru made to theirs

I dont believe the STI tune was ever introduces to the wagon models, however....

The 2006 Higher power 2.5L (saab) Has a compression ratio of 8.4:1, while the STI's same basic engine has a ratio of 8.2:1 , so im suspecting reaching near STI levels would reqire little changes to the engine, and would mostly just require the ECU to be tuned, because the compression ratios are so similar.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
boon94 said:
The 2006 Higher power 2.5L (saab) Has a compression ratio of 8.4:1, while the STI's same basic engine has a ratio of 8.2:1 , so im suspecting reaching near STI levels would reqire little changes to the engine, and would mostly just require the ECU to be tuned, because the compression ratios are so similar.
To be exact, the EJ25 block is the same but the STi heads are different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
boon94 said:
The STi has a much larger turbo. A VF39 to be exact. And although the displacement is the same, I believe the internals on the STi, (the rods, pistons, etc), are different and can handle much more horsepower.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
mucky said:
The STi has a much larger turbo. A VF39 to be exact. And although the displacement is the same, I believe the internals on the STi, (the rods, pistons, etc), are different and can handle much more horsepower.
Just the heads are different.

·
Registered
465 Posts
tranzlucent said:
Hey there, does anybody have any input on how the 06 and 05 aero's "feel" different? I know the motor is 2.5 instead of a 2.0...
The 2.5 should feel more torquey off idle due the 25% more displacement...
I drove in my brothers 05 the other day and it felt pretty strong for a 2.0. It has some mods and is putting down around 250 to the wheels. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
drewbroo said:
sounds closer to a forester 2.5XT engine than a STI engine
this is what i thought too, or the LGT...just as a side question, I thought I heard the rally stuff was capped at 2.0L...how did subaru get around that, do the JDM wrxs and STis still have a 2.0L?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Double_0_7 said:
this is what i thought too, or the LGT...just as a side question, I thought I heard the rally stuff was capped at 2.0L...how did subaru get around that, do the JDM wrxs and STis still have a 2.0L?
Yes, JDM STi's have 2.0s AND 2.5s
The cool STI Spec C is a 1.99X.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts