SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Car shut off while driving multiple times on my way home. Both times I replaced the DIC on the side of the road with two spares I had and was able to make it the rest of the way.

Since then it's had trouble starting. Will crank but won't start. Tried replacing CPS, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned ground on thermostat housing, no luck. Not sure what else to look at.

Both times the car shut off while coasting/ going on a slight decline. I noticed the car also "hesitated" at seemingly random times. Last time I noticed this happen a simple CPS change solved the problem.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,522 Posts
Check all hoses and delivery pipes for vacuum leaks.
That's where I'd start.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Assuming no CEL?

Sounds like it could be fuel. The first thing I'd do is check pressure at the fuel rail. If good check that the injectors are firing; if bad work your way back.

I had a problem where the previous owner of the car broke the DIC connector so it would come slightly loose and completely kill the car. Double check your connector is on good.

If still nothing, pull the DIC off and check that you're actually getting spark. No spark could mean bad DIC, but the ECU also won't send spark if some sensors are bad.

Check for vacuum leaks, loose hoses, open holes. Haven't seen a vacuum leak completely kill a car and it will usually just cause a high idle which leads me to believe that that's not it.

All fails its probably a sensor causing the ECU to do something wrong or not let it start. I would triple check that the CPS is good and properly seated in the block. I believe you can do a resistance check on the CPS to help validate it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently changed the coolant bypass valve due to a coolant leak. I made sure to put all the vacuum lines back in the right place but I’ll double check all hoses.
I also noticed that one of the few times I got the car to start, I drove around for a bit, sat while idleing for ~5 min and the car did not shut off until I turned my climate control to lowest possible temp. Not sure if these are related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts