SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to getting my final build finished. Some of you have been following me on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/mrBman/videos) for the past 2 years and I've gotten some good footage with my stage 3 setup.. but of course I wanted more. I've been saving parts up for around a year and finally got everything ready to go about 4 weeks ago. My previous mods were as follows;

Krona Performance Exhaust Full 3" Catless
ETS Intercooler
3.5 bar FPR
Forge BPV
Cobra Inlet Pipe
Open Air Intake
Brew City Boost Stage 3 tune

New mods are

Wossner Forged Pistons
T5 Cams
Jay Racing 340lph fuel pump
Siemens 60# Injectors
Billet 19T-7cm with ported wastegate and polish
Port Matched Exhaust Manifold
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
NGK AFX Wideband
ARP Headstuds

I got in contact with Stephen who did this build http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330217 to his Viggen. Very knowledgeable and the person that I wanted to do my build. Seeing as I live in Texas I had shipping arranged to have my car shipped directly to him 1400+ miles away in California. He did a wonderful job with the install and everything went smooth with no hiccups. He documented his progress with pictures and I'll be posting all of those at the end of this post. I couldn't recommend a better person to work on a Saab. ;ol;

For now I'm still breaking in the clutch and have about 200 miles on the new motor so far and it runs amazing. Perfect engine vacuum! The break in tune I have in it now is giving me issues with fueling but that will be sorted out shortly. At 1000 miles after break in we will be turning it up and that's when I'll be posting more video footage. I can already feel this thing is going to fly. :cheesy: Subscribe to my Youtube channel to stay up to date when I release new videos!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Gasket matched intake manifold port

Port matched exhaust manifold

Pistons all balanced and weight matched

·
Registered
100 Posts
I look forward to hearing your impressions regarding your new turbo, the forged pistons, and T5 cams. Which T5 cams did you select?

I am collecting parts like you were and will be having my engine refreshed soon. I will probably stay with stock cams at first to see how the torque curve is with the TD0418T-7CM2 turbo I will be using.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I look forward to hearing your impressions regarding your new turbo, the forged pistons, and T5 cams. Which T5 cams did you select?

I am collecting parts like you were and will be having my engine refreshed soon. I will probably stay with stock cams at first to see how the torque curve is with the TD0418T-7CM2 turbo I will be using.
I love balancing engines, the b2x5 series is already so smooth from the factory, matching everything that few extra 10th's of a gram really helps, especially if you plan to rev the engine higher than stock for long periods of time :). Combine weight matching with a balanced crank and flywheel/pressure plate combo... Almost cannot feel it running ;).

I really like to use Wossner pistons on the Saab builds, they run a tighter piston to wall clearance than JE, that combined with their teflon skirt coating REALLY helps with cold starts. Zero piston slap on even the coldest starts, here and in Texas where he lives. JE is good, and it really depends on what you are doing with the engine, daily, drag, circuit only... ETC.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Cams are from a 98 900se. I've done a few small pulls like 50% throttle and about 8psi max with no more then 4.5k rpms. It pulls really strong even at those levels. Boost does come on later at around 3k rpm and the low end does feel laggy off boost. Not laggy enough to bother me though.. I love the overall feel of the car. Can't wait til it's actually broken in so I can turn everything up!

Edit***

^^ Like he said there is NO piston slap at ALL. I cold started it this morning and it was about 57 degrees and it cranked right up with no noise at all!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Was the flywheel machined lighter? Who's doing the tuning? How much power are you planning to put down?

I just picked up a spare B235 to do just about this same build! Can't wait to see some videos.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was the flywheel machined lighter? Who's doing the tuning? How much power are you planning to put down?

I just picked up a spare B235 to do just about this same build! Can't wait to see some videos.
Flywheel was not lightened just a resurface. Right now Casey at BCB has me on a break in tune and will probably get me setup initially. Then hoping to drive up to Dallas to have it road tuned by Steve. Steve is the creator of ecuproject.com and is a excellent tuner.

Power wise I'm aiming high.. :cheesy: During the winter I'll be on pump gas but come spring time I would like to switch to full e85 and that's when I'll put down the most power.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Flywheel was not lightened just a resurface.\.
Only mistake right there, these flywheels lightened give you such great throttle resnce I wodl never do without it again..
Other than that, kudos...

Make sure you post up some dyno sheets, it would be interesting if you get over 300WHP 330WTQ with the 19t

·
Registered
442 Posts
The build looks great!
I love all your photos too!

You might find the cobra pipe is a restriction when you start to push it they really need the king cobra for over 300-320 hp and then you have to contend with the wastegates always blowing open in the high revs.

Typically on all the 18/19t builds ive built and tuned I find even with a 15 psi base boost that even though I can get 20-25 psi through the midrange I cant get much more than 17 or so over 6-6500 rpm. The power is dying off in these revs as the boost is going down not because its out of breath. This is due to the tiny turbine sizing our cars have, I have thought about sleeving down the wastegate port and reducing the flap size to combat it being pushed open.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Clutch is pretty much broken in and I have 700 miles total on it so far. Running great.. minus an EVAP leak that popped up. Thinking it's the purge valve getting stuck open. I'm on the second tune and getting the fueling dialed in. It's running real strong and boosting around 17psi. I have a third tune coming in sometime next week that should turn everything up even more. The 19t feels great especially on the top end past 4k rpm. It just keeps on pulling and never feels like it runs out of breath at all. I haven't taken it much past 5k rpm yet but even with these short bursts it feels real good. I look down and I see the needle blowing past 110 before I know it lol. I'll start posting videos once everything is a bit more dialed in on the tuning side of things.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Very cool! Your setup is very close to what I'll be running early next year, only major difference being that I'll be using a 18T#6 with a '06+ king cobra. Looking forward to a review of Casey's stage 3+ tunes. Where do you have the wideband mounted inside the car?

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
About this Discussion
176 Replies
35 Participants
Jssaab
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing