SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help on the following question would be appreciated. Our lease on our Saab 9-5 sedan is up in a couple months and we have to make a purchase decision. We have maintained the car per the onboard service indicator, but I have been told that this model may have issues with the internal/cabin heating sensor and that even though the oil has been changed every 15k, the turbo chargers on these cars suffer under these conditions and will likely to need replacement soon. Does anyone have any experience with this model (9-5 2.3t sedan)?

·
Registered
708 Posts
It's an easy descision, really. Why even ask?

"even though the oil has been changed every 15k, the turbo chargers on these cars suffer under these conditions"

If you haven't maintened it as you should of, as in expecting to keep it after the lease, why bother?

Did you use full synthetic?
why the 15K oil changes, when everyone else does 3-7K oil changes with these cars?

My answers is NO.
CSE_20

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lease a 9-7x if available in your neck of the woods. It should handle the abuse alright, and driving one makes you realize it actually is a good vehicle. Saab did take the time to make sure this vehicle handled well, and the interior is certainly the nicest of its platform.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
cse_20 said:
It's an easy descision, really. Why even ask?

"even though the oil has been changed every 15k, the turbo chargers on these cars suffer under these conditions"

If you haven't maintened it as you should of, as in expecting to keep it after the lease, why even ask for an opinion?

Did you use full synthetic?
why the 15K oil changes, when everyone else does 3-7K oil changes with these cars?

My answers is NO, find something else less complicated for you.
CSE_20
Be nice, you'll notice this is his first post and the average driver doesn't know about the quirks of caring for the 9-5 until joining this forum.

The GT-17 is almost a guarantee to fail at or around 100k miles on these cars. Why? I have not the slightest idea to be honest. If you do a search on the forum, I'm sure you'll find some price quotes somewhere that'll give you an idea of how much a new turbo will cost, and if it's worth it to you. The wonderful thing about this forum, is with it you can fix almost anything yourself.

However, in the long run, this is a personal decision. Do you enjoy the car enough to do 5k oil changes and probably replace a turbo? Or would you rather try something new on another lease. My 9-5 has been a great car, very reliable and overall I'm very comfortable with it and wouldn't think getting rid of it.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Saab Central. :cool:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good point, didn't notice the post count, sorry if it was a little harsh.
But it was an honest answer.

Regards,
CSE_20

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Welcome to Saabcentral.

I apologize for initial remarks posted above. We all get cranky on SC sometimes:lol:

Take what was said above seriously (aside from the harsh remarks). He is right. These cars require very good oil change records to have any kind of life. THe 9-5 suffers from some weak points that can be costly if you do not perform the maintenance.

Perhaps you may want to consider leasing a different car or a new Saab.

back to back leasing is more expensive in the end than simply buying a car and keeping it for 6-7 years and trading it in. I fyou do a lease buyout, plan to keep the car for 5 or more years, otherwise you just throw away money.

A standard 2.3t has little appeal in the market, the Aero is bad enough. Around my parts the 9-5 is a hard car to resale, consider this.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If the turbo is not blowing smoke now it would suggest its ok and a switch to 5k oil changes certainly won't harm it. Saying the turbo will almost certainly blow before 100k is a bit negative, my car had regular service intervals prior to me owning it. Now it gets changed every 6 months (3-4k miles) and the original turbo is still going strong on 117k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. When we took the car to the Saab dealership where we leased the car from, they told us that they were following the Saab maintainence schedule. When I inquired about tire rotation, again we were told that this did not have to be done. I asked another Saab dealer who has performed service in the vehicle, why the maintenance schedule did not appear to properly maintain the car for the long run and I was told that was Saab's fault. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
markstan said:
Thanks for all the feedback. When we took the car to the Saab dealership where we leased the car from, they told us that they were following the Saab maintainence schedule. When I inquired about tire rotation, again we were told that this did not have to be done. I asked another Saab dealer who has performed service in the vehicle, why the maintenance schedule did not appear to properly maintain the car for the long run and I was told that was Saab's fault. Thanks again for all the help.
:eek: Oh man, that first dealer is silly... On a fwd tire rotation is VERY important! Good luck with your next car! :cheesy:

·
Registered
137 Posts
well i have a 170k 9-5 and its still going strong original turbo and all only things i have had to replace along with the original owner was the update for the pcv and the vaccum lines as well as just recently the radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts