SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been covered in some earlier posts regarding misfires so forgive me if I'm misinterpreting my Saab's symptoms... Just noticed it in the last couple times I've driven the car: at moderate to highway speeds, under heavy acceleration, the engine seems to quit and restart causing a couple good jolts as the turbo goes through 1/2 to 3/4 boost. Any other time, the engine seems to run smoothly. I'm not getting any CEL or codes (other than the fuel quantity sensor that's been out to lunch for a couple years now...). Under normal acceleration, there's no issue whatsoever. Engine is still strong (for 215K+ miles anyway) and smooth otherwise. Does this sound like an issue with the coils as described in some older threads or is this something more sinister?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Reading DTCs and misfire counts from the car is the way to tell.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It sounds like bad engine mounts to me. My 9-5 Aero does the same thing. I don't know if your 9-3 has the full pressure turbo but such engines produce massive torque. When the engine mounts get sloppy, when you punch it, the engine / trans move a lot more on their moorings and create a "WTF is going on?!?" situation with the ECU. That's just my semi-educated guess. You should probably check your engine mounts and I definitely should change mine.

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
coils

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okcrum--how does one monitor the DTCs (not familiar with that acronym yet) or the misfire counts? My BlueDriver OBD II doesn't seem to have that capability... On the other hand it is showing a C0547 "Vacuum Sensor Supply Voltage Circuit/Open" code from the Driver Info Center. Would the vacuum system have anything to do with this symptom? I saw in a Sep 22, 2016 post the same C0547 code and description but comments suggested that code actually has to do with the steering column lock system. I'm not having any trouble with that so far... I am getting B1019 and B1023 but the BlueDriver doesn't have any description for those. May just have to buy new coils and work trial and error... I do know from the past two spark plug changes I've done that the end plug on the driver's side (#4?), tends to have a little fouling whereas the other three tend to be perfectly clean. I'm guessing that might be the first place to look for issues. Surprising though that I'm not getting any misfire codes or CEL...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terpodion, I've been thinking about the engine mounts. I looked at them while I was replacing the CV axles/joints, stabilizer bars and outer tie rods last summer. The upper ones looked to be in fairly good shape but I'm no expert.

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
Just buy 1 and swap it down the line until misfire stops or reduces.

autozone; intermotor

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eEuroparts has the OEM Saab coils at $135 each and the Proparts coils at $43 each. Are the OEM ones worth the extra $92 ($368 extra for set of four!)?

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
no proparts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Autozone stores in my area don’t carry Intermotor. They do have Duralast in stock and can get NGK or Delphi in a few days—all three right around $100. Any of those worth using?

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
sorry meant duralast. advanced auto has intermotor. look at the coil sticky. if they have saab and mitsubishi they are good. those duralasts should.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I'll check both stores and see what they have in stock. Is there a quick way to get to the coil sticky or do I search through the posts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts