SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am considering a 2005 9-3 with 115k miles, no major problems (that they've disclosed), just had the water pump replaced and looks to be in excellent condition. I live in a rural southwest Montana, and the car is listed about 3.5 hours north of me. I am willing to drive up there to look at it, and will bring it to an import mechanic for an inspection as well, but wanted to throw out a few questions.

We live about 2.5 miles off pavement (gravel). My former Saab (1999 9-5) got a flat every 2-4 weeks on this road. The road has been improved since I traded my 9-5 (in 2006), but I'm still driving on gravel daily. The current owner of the 2005 9-3 said they also live off pavement, and she hasn't had any issues with flats. Tire size is 215/55R16. Has anything changed with the tires or rim sizes on newer Saabs, as compared to my 9-5, that would make the tires more stable/less prone to flats on gravel?

Also, there are some import mechanics within 2 hrs of where we live - they've worked both on my old Saab and my husband's BMW (1983 633 csi), so I can get maintenance/work done relatively close to home. But are parts getting harder to find?

I desperately miss my old Saab - loved it to bits. But I'm worried about getting something that will either self-destruct on the gravel or become cost-prohibitive to drive. I can't shop out-of-state (even though I realize the selection would be better), so this really is the only Saab in my price range for consideration. They are asking $7000.

Sorry so long. Thank you in advance for any advice/wisdom you all can pass along.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome to saab central.

With that size tire I think you will be ok driving gravel roads. Lower profile tires will not have as much flexibility then a more normal size tire. As for rim differences, besides designs there probably isnt much difference. Did your 9-5 have larger wheels and lower profile tires?

Parts are actually getting easier to find, especially with saab parts being rebuilt and them having access to the saab factory again

Theses cars are fairly reliable and I wouldn't worry about it self destructing on you. Just make sure to take care of it and it will return the favor.
If everything is in great shape on the car $7k isnt bad. I would offer $5500-6 for the car if everything looks good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks!!

Thank you for the info and advice. There was a Saab dealership in Billings, where I used to get the warranty work done on my 9-5. As for those tires, I don't recall anything atypical (larger) than usual - but being wider (and thinner?) they just didn't do well on gravel.

Again, thank you for your response.

All the best -
donna

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
But will that Saab Dealer remain in Billings..... Tech II's with current software may be hard to come by....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, thanks for all of the replies.

The seller did not specify what model it is - so you are likely right about $7k being overpriced for the miles.

Tech II - I will look into the former dealership in Billings, and also one where I've had work done in Missoula too. Not sure what the fate will be of either as far as being certified with techs and software.

I just left a message where the seller has their work done at an imports shop, so hopefully will be able to see about an inspection and also get some additional info about the car.

Thank you for the ideas/advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts