SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in January I bought a black on black 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero sedan with an automatic transmission and the car has 69K miles on it. Love Saabs (previously owned a 2003 9-5) and love my new Aero!

However, recently I noticed a problem with ignition. Sometimes when I try to start the car it won’t turn on. I turn the key all the way and it feels like its going to start, but then it rumbles and kind of shakes a bit and dies. It feels like its trying very hard to start but just fails in the end. The oil and engine light goes on (I think they turn on because of the key position) and I take the key out. I would try to turn the car 2 to 4 times and eventually it always starts. This does not happen every day, but rather 1 or 2 times a week. After the car turns on, no engine or other light is lit and the car acts absolutely normal. Have to mention that is does not matter if the engine is warm or cold – it can happen after I drove it for a while. I took it in to my local mechanic who has a Saab himself and knows what he is doing, but he could not find anything wrong with the car. Ran bunch of diagnostic tests and checked for fault codes and everything came back clean, but he mentioned that it might be some sensor that needs to be replaced (cant remember what it was....perhaps a crankshaft sensor or something like that)

What do you guys think might be the culprit of this Saabotage? Any suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated, because I sure don’t want to get stranded out on the road.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Have you checked the cables to the starter motor?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Sounds like the starter is spinning the engine (ruling out troubles with battery or cables) but ignition isn't happening.

Might be CPS (crank position sensor), might be DIC (direct ignition cassette) although 2004 is not known for bad DIC. Could even be bad fuel pump, or bad gas (you ARE using the very best Premium you can find?)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MacNoob! I always use 92 or 93 premium gas. My mechanic as well thinks it might be the CPS. Do you know if its expensive to get a new CPS and should I order it from the dealership or can i just get it somewhere online?

·
Registered
554 Posts
My vote is for the DIC. The Cassettes made after the recall are engineer to fail in a safer manner, but they still fail after about 50,000 miles. The nice thing about the new units is that they will get you home albeit with about 1000 misfires.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Could be gas related, gas companies are switching to summer blends that don't do well when the temps fall below 50 degrees or so.
The symptoms are very similar to what you are experiencing, except that it usually happens only in the cooler temps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts