SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive a 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero. I have been extreme about preventive maintenance and the car has been running smoothly since i got it from my parents and it currently has 118k miles on it.

However, my ACC unit is currently not functioning correctly. I was wondering if you all had some suggestions about where the issue may be so that when I bring it into the shop, I don't get screwed with labor costs as they "search" for the issue.

1. All the fans work.
2. Hot air works. If I put the temp up to 75ish, hot air comes out.
3. I reset the circuit breaker for the ACC unit. Dashboard acknowledged the reset after I started the ignition but still no cold air.
4. Check engine light is not on.
5. Coolant has been changed recently (within 6 months)

Any suggestions? Would it be an issue with the compressor or the condenser?

Thanks!

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
I currently drive a 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero. I have been extreme about preventive maintenance and the car has been running smoothly since i got it from my parents and it currently has 118k miles on it.

However, my ACC unit is currently not functioning correctly. I was wondering if you all had some suggestions about where the issue may be so that when I bring it into the shop, I don't get screwed with labor costs as they "search" for the issue.

1. All the fans work.
2. Hot air works. If I put the temp up to 75ish, hot air comes out.
3. I reset the circuit breaker for the ACC unit. Dashboard acknowledged the reset after I started the ignition but still no cold air.
4. Check engine light is not on.
5. Coolant has been changed recently (within 6 months)

Any suggestions? Would it be an issue with the compressor or the condenser?

Thanks!
I'm not suggesting you overlooked a couple things, but is your recirc. working and are your vents set for max airflow output? Do you hear your compressor kick in when you drop the temp down to get your blower maxed out?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think you mean AC?
You should be able to hear the AC compressor kick on.
Or you can check under the hood and see if the AC compressor clutch is spinning the end of the compressor.
Low pressure can cause no cooling, and a recharge can fix it.
But need a bit more info, before being sure about anything.
Coolant has been changed? Do you know when of if it has had the Freon recharged?
the ACC is the Automatic Climate Control, it controls the heat and the AC.
opens vent doors turns on fans and displays info.
75ish is cool here.
Dont think its condenser, but before saying what it might be check the items listed above.
Welcome to site

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice so far.

I did some more testing and I didn't notice any noise changes at all when i engage the ACC system.

When I turn it on I dont hear the compressor at all (or at least I dont think I do) and when I turn the system off, no noticeable noise change occurs either. No rattling sound or anything.

I can't tell if the serpentine belt is moving or not when the unit is on. Should i be able to?

I am not sure if the system was recharged or not. If anything it was done over 30k miles ago (I don't know if that is an issue.)

Vents look to be all cleared.

Do you guys have any diagnostic things I can try to help figure out what is going on??

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
If your compressor is not engaging you can tell by turning the motor on, set the ac at the lowest setting lay down in front of the car and stick your head up under the cowling an see if the compressor is cycling on and off. If the inner part is not moving then you need to go to a service center to check the level or you can add one can and see if that starts it. It could just be low.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far.

I did some more testing and I didn't notice any noise changes at all when i engage the ACC system.

When I turn it on I dont hear the compressor at all (or at least I dont think I do) and when I turn the system off, no noticeable noise change occurs either. No rattling sound or anything.

I can't tell if the serpentine belt is moving or not when the unit is on. Should i be able to?
Yes, you open the hood and look at it. But if the belt were not spinning you would have all of your dash lights on because it runs the AC the Alternator the water pump etc.
What you need to look at is the end of the AC compressor, when the car is turned off you can spin it with your hand, that is that part that will engage with the compressor when AC is turned on.
You need to listen for the AC not the ACC if you are not hearing anything when you turn on ACC then you have a problem with the fans etc.
It should blow heat, (When set to warm temp) top bottom sides etc. you should be able to hear the fans. (Although you said fans and heat work)
When you lower the temp to turn on AC the engine rpm's will drop about 100-300 rpm's for a second or two when the compressor engages. .
You can also press the auto and off button at same time if the ACC has any codes. but again remember the ACC is not the AC. The ACC just controls the heat and cooling. and you should be able to hear it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts