SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased my first Saab, a 2004 9-3 Linear, automatic. It was a college student's car that has sat for the last six months because she didn't have the need for a car. Started and drove when I got it but it had some misc electrical gremlins - gas gauge doesn't work, tail light was out, sunroof doesn't work, driver's mirror/window didn't work and radio/SID didn't work. Research shows gas gauge is likely the sending unit, driver's mirror was loose plug in door, tail light was shorted ground wire at light, radio was blown fuse and I haven't messed with sunroof - although fuse is good. After I went through and got most things working I went to fill it up with gas and when I left my driveway, which has a slight bump at the end, I heard a pop and the radio and SID went out. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Subsequent fuse blew instantly. Went and filled the car up and it drove fine. Got home and started tracing the issue. Dropped the lower dash cover and checked the #14 wire. Found that it was grounded out. I cut the wire and found that it was grounded out on the fuse block side, not the radio side. I jumped the radio side wire over to the cigarette lighter fused wire and the radio illuminated but did not turn on and the SID didn't work. Unhooked it all and hooked it back up stock and just left the #14 fuse out. Went to start the car and everything in the car powers on but the engine won't turn over, not even a click. Checked battery voltage and it was good, but swapped in battery from my truck anyway and still nothing. Researched a bunch in the forums and tried cleaning the ISM, nothing. Jumped the starter relay with the key on and the engine turns over but will not start. I have pulled the ecm fuse and let the car sit, nothing. I have unhooked the battery for hours, nothing. Key fob works and doors lock and unlock fine, have also put a new battery in the fob. When I turn the key on the only indicator I get on the dash is the ESP being turned off, which it was the last time I ran it. The only thing I can think of now is that the ECM and the car have possibly lost sync. First, opinions, second, if this is the case, is there a way to fix it in my driveway or am I going to have to scour the country trying to find a shop with a tech 2? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, maybe a fuel pump but he needs to get it to crank first. Fuel pump will not turn off starter.
Thanks Fajardo, but Mike is correct. My issue isn't the fuel pump at this point, I simply need to get it to crank first. As an aside, the fuel pump does activate when the key is turned on.

Mike, you aren't too far down the road from me. Where do you take your cars for work when you cannot do it yourself?

·
Registered
602 Posts
When my fuel pump went out the engine would not turn over either, you said yourself your having a problem with the fuel sending unit also.. Just saying dont rule it out based from experience, my power would also turn on. But ok, good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just purchased my first Saab, a 2004 9-3 Linear, automatic. It was a college student's car that has sat for the last six months because she didn't have the need for a car. Started and drove when I got it but it had some misc electrical gremlins - gas gauge doesn't work, tail light was out, sunroof doesn't work, driver's mirror/window didn't work and radio/SID didn't work. Research shows gas gauge is likely the sending unit, driver's mirror was loose plug in door, tail light was shorted ground wire at light, radio was blown fuse and I haven't messed with sunroof - although fuse is good. After I went through and got most things working I went to fill it up with gas and when I left my driveway, which has a slight bump at the end, I heard a pop and the radio and SID went out. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Subsequent fuse blew instantly. Went and filled the car up and it drove fine. Got home and started tracing the issue. Dropped the lower dash cover and checked the #14 wire. Found that it was grounded out. I cut the wire and found that it was grounded out on the fuse block side, not the radio side. I jumped the radio side wire over to the cigarette lighter fused wire and the radio illuminated but did not turn on and the SID didn't work. Unhooked it all and hooked it back up stock and just left the #14 fuse out. Went to start the car and everything in the car powers on but the engine won't turn over, not even a click. Checked battery voltage and it was good, but swapped in battery from my truck anyway and still nothing. Researched a bunch in the forums and tried cleaning the ISM, nothing. Jumped the starter relay with the key on and the engine turns over but will not start. I have pulled the ecm fuse and let the car sit, nothing. I have unhooked the battery for hours, nothing. Key fob works and doors lock and unlock fine, have also put a new battery in the fob. When I turn the key on the only indicator I get on the dash is the ESP being turned off, which it was the last time I ran it. The only thing I can think of now is that the ECM and the car have possibly lost sync. First, opinions, second, if this is the case, is there a way to fix it in my driveway or am I going to have to scour the country trying to find a shop with a tech 2? Thanks in advance!
Did you ever find out what happened with your car? Mine is doing something similar. I have the Traction Control Failure message on my SID and the fuel pump keeps kicking on and off continuously but the car doesn't crank at all but I can jump the starter the way you did.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you ever find out what happened with your car? Mine is doing something similar. I have the Traction Control Failure message on my SID and the fuel pump keeps kicking on and off continuously but the car doesn't crank at all but I can jump the starter the way you did.
Mine turned out to be a short in the radio brain box that mounts to the top of the CD player. Was grounding out and interupting the connection between the computers in the car. Unplugged it, took the case apart and fixed the short, plugged it back in and the car started right up. Didn't have the fuse blowing issues afterwards either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine turned out to be a short in the radio brain box that mounts to the top of the CD player. Was grounding out and interupting the connection between the computers in the car. Unplugged it, took the case apart and fixed the short, plugged it back in and the car started right up. Didn't have the fuse blowing issues afterwards either.
Thanks. I will have a look at that in the morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have a 2004 9-3 linear manual transmission. I had the clutch and slave cylinder changed, and found out that my timing chain was bad. During the time that my son was sick with cancer (7-9 months) I'd neglected to have the car serviced. well, I had another engine put in it --the car ran beautifully for 2 weeks, then I got in one morning and the car wouldn't start --everything came on: lights, radio, doors & windows worked. Nothing from the engine --no cranking sound nothing but a thud type sound coming from the front passenger side under the hood. About 15 minutes later the car started. The following weekend the car failed to start at all --same thing all interior & exterior lights, radio, windows work. The car would not start even with a jump. I've read about issues with neutral safety switch apparatus ( only for manual transmission) --I had that changed out, the ignition switch was changed out too.
I need some clues as to what could be going on --I hate to give this car up. I've read so many things --I can see similarities --my mechanic is trying to trouble shoot. Help!

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did it work

Thanks. I will have a look at that in the morning.
Hey Joez,

Did you ever figure out the problem?

I have same issue after winter storage and fully charged battery. No crank, no click, key turns fine and springs back. My CD player has not worked for years. I was having some trouble with wipers working on and off and washer fluid doing the same before winter storage. When I try to jump the car through the starter it cranks just a little. I don't think I can get enough current to that little relay and just get a lot of arcing.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
if the starter will turn with another battery attached then your car battery is shot..

more info car model year engine..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts