SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So doing a little research to find that my $1000 estimate from my local shop could be covered by saab. Problem is it's a 04 with 160k on it. Essentially in my opinion metal doesn't deteriorate with miles. It does with age. So has anyone had any luck with having these replaced and not being within the 120k/10 yr extended? I bought this car 2 days ago and the guy didn't disclose this info. Didn't do a whole lot of turning on the test drive. Learned my lesson. Also anyone know what to do for pulling the cd deck? got the click click click goin on. Should I pull it? I read a few of the stickies on both of these and just want my own personalized answers. I can feel a cd in there i think anyway. But any help or responses will be awesome thanks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So doing a little research to find that my $1000 estimate from my local shop could be covered by saab. Problem is it's a 04 with 160k on it. Essentially in my opinion metal doesn't deteriorate with miles. It does with age. So has anyone had any luck with having these replaced and not being within the 120k/10 yr extended? I bought this car 2 days ago and the guy didn't disclose this info. Didn't do a whole lot of turning on the test drive. Learned my lesson. Also anyone know what to do for pulling the cd deck? got the click click click goin on. Should I pull it? I read a few of the stickies on both of these and just want my own personalized answers. I can feel a cd in there i think anyway. But any help or responses will be awesome thanks.

I have two brand new springs (oem) from my 9-3ss that were dealer replaced.(my car was totaled,and I bought it to part it out)So if worse comes to worse,its an option

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2003 9-3 Linear and my drivers coil spring was broken in half. The shop I go to called the dealer and they said it's covered under warranty until 191,000kms. My car had 151,000kms on it at the time. Drove an hour, had the spring replaced and the sleeves on both sides for free.

Best thing you can do is call the dealer, ask if it's covered under warranty. They might ask for your VIN. No harm in trying, it might save you $1000.

·
Registered
435 Posts
$1000 for the springs is too high, IMO. I have an '04 Linear too, and I replaced the entire suspension for $1000. I put in Aero springs (new in front $120; pre-owned in back $30), KONI FSD Struts and shocks ($650, TireRack), and new shock mounts, strut mounts and bearings.

The springs are between $120 and $150. If you can't get Saab to cover the warranty, at least replace the springs and strut bearings at the same time. I did all the work myself just by searching through the forums here. Its fairly easy and straight forward.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If you're handy, there are a lot of 9-3 struts at Detroit area breaker yards. Forget about the color coding as long as you buy the matched set. Car-part.com. If you buy a high mileage set, buy new shocks. Get spring compressors from Harbor Freight tools for $10 ea. Get 2 sets - I put 3 units on each coil spring to keep it aligned.

As to CD: Look at FAQ's for a fix or look for a used replacement unit. Make sure you buy the same unit or it will only work with a Tech 2 program. Choice of single vs 6 player. Make sure they specify the unit was tested or you're wasting time.

Removal:

1. Disconnect neg batt term.
2. Center air vent (see FAQ's) careful here, go slow
3. Radio display 2 top screws
4. Disconnect onstar and pull this and cup holder as a unit.
5. Pull MCC or ACC temp control and unplug
6. CD unit has 2 boxes fixed together. Slides on track - 2 side clips. Press in with butter knife or screwdriver. Pull out halfway then remove 3 power plugs: white antenna top right, depress clip; Center and bottom, single latches.

In my case, I removed the dash surround to plasti-dip the face. Looks like new. Highly suggest this easy improvement.

To remove dash surround, remove left vent (FAQ's) & 3 screws there; remove vertical "clear button" elect unit left of radio pushing from back & 2 screws. A few more screws in the radio area and it is free.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts