SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am almost at a loss here. Totally overhauling the suspension of my wife's convertible and am having absolutely no luck locating the 2 front rearward subframe bushings. The part number is 32021863, but everywhere I turn says they are out of stock even in Europe and no re-supply expected at all. These are the notorious bearings that make our Saabs literally fall apart when going over a pothole. Soooooo, does anyone have any idea what my options are at this point?

Does anyone have a source for these bushings?

Has anyone done anything crazy like weld different supports on the subframe so more common and available bushings can be used?

Are there any other bushings, say from another year that are interchangeable?

I can't believe something so small may virtually make us retire the car? That's just plain crazy! The other crazy thing is, I've searched this forum and several other forums, and no one else is mentioning this problem? I'm sure these bushings need to be replaced in many Saabs across the world, yet no one is saying that these bushings aren't available anymore. The car is almost un-driveable without replacing these.

I hope someone has an answer.

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
644 Posts

here is the forum listing for part suppliers. Most are listed here - if you are unsure - ask. The forum is a 9-3 forum but the suppliers will have stock items for your model series etc. Note that eeuroparts has had a recent change in management so some ordering / shipping etc could be affected.

esaab seems to have stock, and you could look for the generic bushes like:

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Since I also have a 2004 convertible this question intrigued me. I contacted SaabParts.com via their web form and received this reply earlier today.

“Thank you for contacting Saab Customer Assistance. The part#32021863 is available still in Sweden. If you contact your closest Saab Official Service Center they can place an order that will release the part from Sweden. If you need help locating a Saab Official Service Center, please send back your zip code.

Stephanie

Stephanie Long / Saab Customer Assistance Center / US Market

PHONE 800-955-9007 / MOBILE

The exclusive supplier of Saab Original Parts”

As above I would contact SaabParts.com as they seem to have a great track record in sourcing parts from Sweden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Glad someone took notice. So far I've tried two parts houses that said yes it's available through Sweden, but both canceled my order a day later when they did an inquiry and found that these bushings are not available in Sweden anymore and there is no expected restocking of inventory.

I did, however, contact SaabParts.com when I read your post and am waiting for an answer. I am hopeful, but will not be surprised if they too will tell me the same thing. Gotta keep trying, fingers crossed.

Someone at SaabWorld forum answered my identical thread and gave me another possible option if these bushings are impossible to get anymore.

"When you can't find a Saab part a Chevy part will do and it usually costs a lot less. Even though the Cobalt rides on the Delta platform most of the front steering parts are interchangeable with your 9-3. But your best bet for subframe bushings will be the Malibu as both these cars are built on the Epsilon platform."

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I wonder what the difference is between the two different part numbers 32021863 for convertibles and 13247174 for 4DR/5DR? Are they the same physical size? Is it a difference in durometer rating? 13247174 is available and is also cross listed as a GM/Opel part number.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a very good question and one I'm exploring. GM bought Saab way back, so many GM parts are interchangeable. I've been researching the issue and the Chevy Malibu, for one, is built on the same platform as the Saab, known as the Epsilon platform. Sadly, GM has no cross reference for it's Saab/GM parts.

I did hear back from Stephanie at the Saab Customer Assistance Center and she told me the bushings are available from Sweden but they have to be ordered from Official Saab service centers. When I contacted my local Saab Service center (no longer in business), I was still able to get someone in the GM parts department to help me. If I wanted the bearings, I would have to pre-pay and take my chances as to when they would arrive, as they are back ordered even in Sweden. Long story short - because of my predicament, the service center is ordering them from Sweden without me having to pre-pay. Down side - may take a month or more to get here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts