SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So my car has the broken gas meter issue. No problem, I usually just use the mileage to keep track of the level. I let someone borrow it and they reset the trip odometer without filling it (thought they knew). I ended up running out of gas and tried to start it again. When I figured it was out of gas I got it towed to a gas station and put gas in. After that it would start but die within a second.

I am finally trying to fix it now but when I try to start the car it just cranks. I tried jumping the fuel pump relay and then starting it and it goes back to starting for a second then dying. Plugged the relay back in and it goes back to just cranking. When I jump the relay I don't hear much noise at all, though I used a pretty small gauge wire that started heating up real quick.

Anyone have any idea of what it could be? I was going to try a new relay and if that failed maybe I would have to replace the whole fuel pump assembly.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
210 Posts
it prob too late for this post to be helpful. The liquid fuel bath in the tank helps cool the pump motor. Running the fuel all the way down is tough on the electrical inside the pump due to the heat.
I imagine your fuel pump was at the end of its life cycle and the heat and stress of running the tank dry finally killed it.

My fuel system testing strategy is to spray brake cleaner into the intake boot while cranking. If it starts you know you have a fuel problem.

In your case you could have also banged on the fuel tank with your fist while cranking to see if the pump would reanimate.

Some vehicles owners manual have warnings about running the tank too low for this reason.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts