SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I recently purchased a 2004 9-5 Aero with ~73500 miles. I noticed that when I tried to unlock the doors with the remote, unless I was within 6 inches of the door it would not work. So I went to the dealer and bought a new battery for the remote (they put it in for free:D), So I press four or five times and then it unlocks, but only when I am standing right next to the door. If I am more than 2 feet away it does not work. Any ideas about how I can get the range of this back to the standard 10-20 feet.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
It's a common problem with these cars. My Aero does the same thing as did my 1999. No fix that I am aware of for it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Here are 2 things I found out-

Had the same issue. Finally figured out:

1) Back of FOB wasn't seating all the way. It stayed in place, but I guess when I pressed the unlock, internal to the fob it wasn't making contact. Added a piece of thick paper (like on a business card) to the back of the FOB and that seemed to help

2) Trunk wire harness (the elbow piece on the left side as you open the lid) was starting to fail. Eventually, your trunk won't open with the trunk switch on the door- as well as other erratic/intermittent electrical faults. Spliced the wires and remote seemed to work better.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I think the main problem is with the "transponder" in the car itself. The antenna is weak

·
Registered
453 Posts
The general understanding, and what I was told this when I first got my 9-5 from the dealer, is that the range of the fob is supposed to be somewhere around 5 feet, as a purposeful security measure. I have on rare occasion managed to get the car to respond to the fob from 10-15 feet away, but that has been on rare occasion.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
where is the antenna for the remote located?
I am pretty sure that it is in the center console right by the rear air vents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts