SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to describe the process. Very easy when you see it done, not so easy to have it explained.

On my 2004 95 Aero it went into limp mode, both electronically and mechanically. Here is the procedure as I know it, if there some mechanics out there and this is not correct then please chime in.

- Disconnect the battery + cable
- Remove the black plastic cover that hides the TB and is around the Oil dip stick.
- On the passenger side of the TB you will see a black metal cover plate, remove it (2 X 10mm) bolts. This will expose the cable/spring wheel that the throttle cable is attached to.
- If you look directly at the wheel you have a front piece and a back piece. The back piece has some ridges on the top surface.
- In normal mode only the outer piece should move with the push of the pedal. In limp mode both pieces move.
- The object is to reset the back piece. You must rotate it counter clockwise till it clicks into place and is held by a switch. You will see this switch as it has 2 wires coming off it and is on you left if you are looking straight on to the wheels.
- You will not be able to move the back wheel back until you release the spring that is sticking out the bottom around 5 o-clock. This metal spring tab needs to be moved to the other side of the black plastic piece. You can do this with your finger and press it back and it will pop around the black tab on the back wheel. Once the spring releases you will be able to easily rotate the back wheel counterclockwise into place.
- You will know it is correct if you move the throttle cable and only the front wheel moves and the back wheel that you locked into place stays put.
- Reconnect the battery (This was to reset the ECU check engine code).

Like I said it is a little hard to describe but very very easy once you have done it.

Hope this helps,
Lance from Houston
2004 Steel Grey 95 Aero, PPC Stage-3, 18" Ronal LV's

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
What is this "Limp Mode" of which you speak?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hej !

The throttle control will be tured off if a "throttle fault" is being detected. Normally the throttle butterfly is activated by a motor controlled by ECM, but when set in limphome, this is turned off and the butterfly is mechanicly connected to the bowden cable from the loud pedal.

I do not recommed you to do this reset, because you LOOSE the DTC that triggerd the limphome.
Result: difficult to find tha actual fault, maybe I should use the word impossible.

·
Banned
356 Posts
one add:
after that that you discrabe "off limp home" ..
recomended shorten trottle cable 1-2mm..

this "off limp home" better to do if not posible to went to SAAB-workshop ore nears SAAB-workshop as far ..

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Limp Home solenoid reset. Now car will not fire up.

I have just reset my limp home solenoid after replacing a split hose on crankcase ventilation system on my 2001 9-5 aero auto.( The one from valve cover to oil seperator with line teeing off towards pcv check valve/ throttle body) Now my car will not start up although prior to resetting solenoid it did! What is going on now?

Ta

JB

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is my Saab 9-5 in Limp mode?
My check engine light is on and off for unknown reasons
MPG rarely averages over 17 mpg
Car as whole feels sluggish
What circumstances would warrant the Limp mode activation

2001 2.3 Aero
What extent does Limp mode handicap performance?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is my Saab 9-5 in Limp mode?
My check engine light is on and off for unknown reasons
MPG rarely averages over 17 mpg
Car as whole feels sluggish
What circumstances would warrant the Limp mode activation

2001 2.3 Aero
What extent does Limp mode handicap performance?
If it was in lhm you would know ,the cel light would not not go off and it would not idle very well ,its more likely to be something else like ,the maf or the o2 senser even a 2.3 auto should get 23_24 mpg !:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts