SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reassembling a spare pair of struts. The nut is supposed to be 15 lb ft. Is there such a thing as a pass-through torque wrench? Otherwise how do I hold the end of the rod still while torquing up the nyloc?

On one, the nut thread must be damaged because I can't get it down the thread far enough to even get hold of the rod end. The aperture in the strut bracket isn't wide enough to get a mole grip in so I have no way of stopping the rod rotating while I tighten the nut.

On the other, the nut has gone on, but only gets to 5 lb ft before the rod starts spinning.

Surely I can't be the first to find this, so suggestions welcome!

Thanks - Doug

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Front or rear? You're not going to be able to torque the top nut on either one accurately without special tools. On the rear, try to find an offset box end wrench. That's what I used when reassembling the rear suspension. If it's offset enough, it will go right down inside the cup on top of the strut assembly. On the front, there are special pass through sockets that you can attach a torque wrench to, but I think most people just cinch the nut up with an impact driver. That's what I've always done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts