SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have been having a strange problem with the radio on my 2004 9-5 ARC. First a little background information. I got the Saab from my uncle as a first car (very lucky in that department, as it is probably the nicest car at my school), and there were a few minor problems which my mechanic fixed rather quickly. However, two weeks after I started to drive it, the radio stopped working. The mechanic said it was fried, and to purchase one from a junkyard, which i did. Unaware of the marriage/divorce issue, i tried to just switch out the radio, which didn't work. The mechanic couldn't help either, because he was more familiar with the 9-3 code system. Abandoning all hope, I went to the dealer, who also couldn't do anything because the original radio can't be divorced because it doesn't work. They offered to mail it to Crutchfield, but said that it would probably cost a LOT of money. Long story short, I've had no radio for almost a year, and I finally snapped. I decided to fix the radio myself, thinking I was smarter than the dealer, my mechanic, and the car (which is probably not true, but definatly not true about the car part). Anyways, by turning off the radio, holding down the band button, and turning the radio back on while still holding the button down, I got the radio to come on and stay on (I don't know if anyone has ever done this before, but I thought it was very strange that the system could be beaten so easily). Now, however, the radio plays, but only through one speaker at a time. I have no idea what is going on and was hoping someone here might know. I couldn't find anything about this issue elsewhere. Thanks for your help, and please note that i'm usually really busy, so if I don't respond immediately, I'm not blowing anyone off and will respond soon. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't have it in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the owner's manual describes a test mode that does one speaker at a time. I'm assuming you've managed to enable test mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll look that up, but are you aware if this test will continue indefinatly, or should the radio start working after long enough?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would like a favor

Hi kwb007,
I am hoping that you can help me out. I have 1999 9-5 that I just blew the engine on. I have put a 2004 motor in as a replacement. Since I don't have an 04 I don't know how everything is set up in the engine bay. Would you be so kind to take a picture and e-mail it to me? I am particularly interested in the passenger side of the engine. I need to figure out how all the tubes and hoses connect up. The PCV system on the 04 is vastly different from the 99. Maybe even a close up of the throttle body if you have the time. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Regards,
Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I know a guy who works on radios, and he found out what was wrong with the original receiver, and offered to fix it for $50 so I think I'll just have him fox the original that is still married to the car and put it back in. That should solve the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Keith,
I'll try to get that picture for you and e-mail it as soon as possible. I would certainly love to help you get the car working, so I'll get right on that, and try to send the picture ASAP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts