SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been trying to get my car to start and it will not. It's very cold, around 0 degrees F. So far this winter it has been starting just fine, but today it just will not start. The battery is not dead, all of the lights and the radio will turn on fine. But when I try to start it, I can hear (what I'm guessing is) the starter solenoid. It's really slow making a "chunk.......chunk......chunk....." sound fairly slowly. I've even tried to jump start it with my brothers car and it does the exact same thing. I'm guessing this is also not the neutral safety switch problem either due to the face that I can hear the solenoid. Please help? I'm almost to the point of taking a heat gun out there to warm the battery and starter. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Probably is the starter solenoid or the ground ribbon cable on it has finally corroded. Replace the starter. It's not too bad a job.

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
Welcome,if the battery is that's shot a jump won't start it,modern car are electrically laden..Also modern car don't like being jump started due to the sensitive electronics ergo fried electronics(power surge)..
New battery is the best course of action..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I do have some spare batteries that I'm going to try tomorrow. I'm hoping it's not the starter itself. My wallet is sort of empty at the moment. I'll try a few things tomorrow to see if I can get it to start.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I agree that a really cold battery which is on its way out anyway, will not accept a charge and will not accept jump starting. At the very least, borrow a known good battery and see if that solves the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts