SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 9-3 Arc with a single disc CD-changer. I have the opportunity to upgrade to a 6-Disc changer and want to know if the changer is married to the original car VIN or just the radio. For example, if I remove the 6-disc from the original car (I have the VIN) and install in my current car, do I simply add the new changer to my existing radio? (note: I'm not removing my existing radio. The radio on the donor car does not work).

Also, can someone please confirm it is simply a software upgrade via Tech II to "educate" my car radio it now has a 6-disc changer to enable full functionality. If someone has a link to the software package or how to upgrade on Tech II it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the answers! Bob

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
You can swap it. For marrying you need TECH2.

Old CD player connected:
Select ALL
Select add/remove-> remove.

Change player to changer and connect it.
Select ALL
Select add/remove -> add.

Done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mimmi, thanks once again for being usually the only one to respond. Still looking for confirmation on the software upgrade via Tech II to enable the audio system to recognize and ensure the 6-disc changer is functional once married ot my VIN. Anyone? Thank you!

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Again: 6 disc CD changer will work after marriage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mimmi, thank you. As mentioned, my current 9-3 has a single disc player in it. My understanding is I need to have a software upgrade via Tech II to "educate" my radio and audio system that it has a 6-disc changer installed to enable the 6-disc changer it to function properly with my radio / audio system. I've been advised it is not just a swap and the system works magically. I'm looking for guidance and instruction on how to accomplish the software upgrade I've been advised needs to be accomplished. I'm not wanting to assume because I don't want to cause issues. Thank you! Bob

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
Mimmi is saying you need a Tech II, both to remove the single CD unit, and to add the six-disc unit.

As a general question to anyone, are the six-CD in-dash changers reliable? Is it worth grabbing one from a scrap car or am I likely to find that it doesn't work?

Also, obviously I won't be able to use the Tech II to remove the changer from the junkyard car, but it does not sound like it's a 9-5 style arrangement where it has to be divorced from its old car and then married to the new one, it's just "Add" in the new car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EdT, thank you. I understand what Mimmi says on removal from the donor and install into my car. The item I'm trying to confirm is the question on an alleged software upgrade via Tech II to tell my current car it now has a 6-disc changer and functionality instead of the single disc. Now only looking to confirm that part so I do it right. Thanks! Bob

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
You are just overthinking and listen to rumors from people who just do not know.

You do not even have to remove old CD player with TECH2 if you will not use it again. Only marriage needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mimmi, thank you. That is the confirmation I was seeking. Didn't mean to overthink, just wanted to be 100% sure on what I need to do. You know what they say about assumptions ... lol. Thanks again. Bob

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
I do not care what other people think, I just answer your question, nothing more (I do not read minds).

·
Super Moderator
20,204 Posts
The 6disc changers suck. They skip in cold weather. Adding AUX and removing CD player with tech2 was the best thing I ever did. 1 push of DISC/SRC and it goes right to AUX. Wish it wouldn't reset to radio each time you start the car but not having to cycle through CD player to get to AUX is awesome.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
The 6disc changers suck. They skip in cold weather. Adding AUX and removing CD player with tech2 was the best thing I ever did. 1 push of DISC/SRC and it goes right to AUX. Wish it wouldn't reset to radio each time you start the car but not having to cycle through CD player to get to AUX is awesome.
AUX is not useful for me. CD changer capability is useful. If I wanted to spend $300 CAD, I could get the trunk mounted changer: https://nordicspeed.com/collections/9-3-03-11/products/copy-of-radio-oem-saab But a six-disc in-dash changer might only be $30 from a wrecker.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
What!!!??? Are you all billionaires?
We are not billionares after buying Saab parts!

Is the kit that I linked to, 12832501 available? Changer does not do me good if I can't install it (The changers are very rare in Canadian cars, so not much chance of getting one from the junkyard.)

And can you help me import from Finland?

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Not any more. You can use CD changer and any fibers which are long enough.
Yes I can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts