SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I replaced the pads all around on my 2004 9-3 Arc about 1000 mi ago. I kept the old rotors on because a) they were not warped at all and appeared to have plenty of life left on them and b) 3/4 of the rotors were totally rusted onto the car and I couldn't get them to move one bit!

After replacing the pads, the brakes on this car felt totally magical and brand-new again. Now I remember why I bought this car! But in the past couple weeks I feel like the brakes feel tough sometimes. It seems that this changes intermittently. I get in the car some days and the brakes feel great. I get in the car other days and they feel tough and require more force to operate, not as gentle or "well-balanced" if you will. The brakes still work fine but they are tough, like a cheaper car, not delicate.

The only thing I can think of which was an issue with the brakes was on the left-rear caliper, I accidentally perforated one of the rubber boots on the piston, probably about 1 mm. It was tiny so I just left it. Then again, there is no real way to fix that.

Any idea why this is happening? Any and all input appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
in my not so expert opinion, this could be cause by a couple of things.

1 were the rotors glazed? click here

f. Air in the brake lines? did you remove the cap from the Masta (lol) cylinder when you compressed the pistons?

#. cheap brakes

Im sure there could be other issues as well. but most of the problems like what you are talking about Ive had with Glazed rotors. to fix you can take them off and sand them down.. Im sure there will be someone with a better answer on later today..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, yes I did take the cap off the master cylinder when compressing the pistons. Stupidly, I forgot to do that on one of the pistons and fluid shot out and everywhere. I ensured that there is still enough fluid in the system though. I will look at the rotors more, although they don't appear glazed. And the brakes - totally GM stock, from my local Saab dealer parts dept. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts