SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some work on our 2004 saab 9-3 2.0t and trying to get it back to daily driver condition. Just a little background on this particular car:
Started misfiring, smoking, and losing power
Parked for ~6months
Got it started up again
Found broken valve on vacuum line
Replaced
Running smoother and No smoking anymore but still pulling injector codes and injectors staying open
Traced it down to the ECM
Shipped ECM to Yourpartssource for repair
They found defective injector and turbo control chip and repaired that
Per their request to be covered under the repair warranty, I replaced the fuel injectors and charge air solenoid
Saab running like a dream
Driving around a few days
Today I parked it and came back out 10 mins later to drive
No start
The check engine came on and my obd scan tool shows the following codes:

P0638 - Throttle control actuator Control Range/ Performance Bank 1
P0201 - Cyl 1 Injector "A" circuit
P0202 - Cyl 2 Injector "A" circuit
P0203 - Cyl 3 Injector "A" circuit
P0204 - Cyl 4 Injector "A" circuit

What I've done so far:
1) Disconnected negative terminal on battery for 10+ seconds to try to reset the ecm
2) Pulled Inlet hose off throttle body and checked movement of throttle plate. Moves about 1/2 inch from slightly closed to fully closed (No full range of movement from open to close) when key is turned to ON.
3)Pulled out battery tray and checked pins and connectors on connector H42-2 - [Pins and Connectors Look GOOD]
4)Procrastinating on checking wire and connection continuity by posting this and seeing if there is something else I can check before this step

If any of you have any advice on what I should do next to properly diagnose, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm really hoping the ECM didn't **** the bed again; if it did, it should be covered under warranty but still have to figure out the cause so it doesn't happen again. [PICS of H42-2 connectors and pins for reference]
IMG-2678.jpg

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The power transistors in the ECU that switch the injectors are likely dying of old age. When they start to avalanche and latch up (fail), they not only spew fuel, but take out the chip that drives them (and the boost control valve too, often with a P0245). Outfits that "rebuild" ECUs do not seem to test or replace the power transistors, and only change the chip, because they do not understand the failure mode. The end result is what OP is seeing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've been doing some work on our 2004 saab 9-3 2.0t and trying to get it back to daily driver condition. Just a little background on this particular car:

The check engine came on and my obd scan tool shows the following codes:

P0638 - Throttle control actuator Control Range/ Performance Bank 1
P0201 - Cyl 1 Injector "A" circuit
P0202 - Cyl 2 Injector "A" circuit
P0203 - Cyl 3 Injector "A" circuit
P0204 - Cyl 4 Injector "A" circuit

What I've done so far:
1) Disconnected negative terminal on battery for 10+ seconds to try to reset the ecm
2) Pulled Inlet hose off throttle body and checked movement of throttle plate. Moves about 1/2 inch from slightly closed to fully closed (No full range of movement from open to close) when key is turned to ON.
3)Pulled out battery tray and checked pins and connectors on connector H42-2 - [Pins and Connectors Look GOOD]
4)Procrastinating on checking wire and connection continuity by posting this and seeing if there is something else I can check before this step

If any of you have any advice on what I should do next to properly diagnose, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm really hoping the ECM didn't **** the bed again; if it did, it should be covered under warranty but still have to figure out the cause so it doesn't happen again. [PICS of H42-2 connectors and pins for reference]
View attachment 281179 View attachment 281178
Were you able to get this car fixed and running again? Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts