SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well the story is as folllows.....

this is my baby and these are my rims the 16inch oldish-style ones.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7389

i am looking to buy the 17inch Aero ones....but i am a bit confused about the colour.......should i get the classic shiny ones

or something like that

would fit better with the espresso black colour?....are they custom-made or available by default?

do we have any photoshop experts here to do some tricks and show me the difference?:cheesy:

correct me if i am mistaken but the above 2 photos i lended from other members in here are the 17inch with a low profile tyre and not 18inch, right?

also one last question.
here in greece brand new 17inch aero rims cost around 1800euros.....which is wayyyyyy lots of money.....so i am looking for used ones.........or new ones that can be shipped from abroad to greece.

i tried to contact another member at classifields that sells them for $500 but no reply since 10days now.........

plz help me find a solution at this subject.thnx in advance:D

p.s. ooooops.....forgot to post u another members shiny espresso black with the classic aero rims.

p.s. No2
tried Ebay also.....no luck for aero wheels..........i am desperate:eek:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bauklo said:
sells those as a set of four at a very very good price.
sorry but i didnt understand your post.

YOU sell a set of Aero rims?
or you propose me to sell MY rims?

·
Registered
299 Posts
neither!
looks like my post was edited by a mod, as ...uhum...i guess i am not supposed to name shops (or advertise them, for that matter).

what i wanted to say was:

i know two online shops which have a large selection of parts for saabs for your "elk", including sets of 4 original rims for appr. 1000eur for four.
you might also check out the ads in this forum of course. however shipping from the US to foreign locations tends to cost an arm and a leg :D

google is your friend...

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is a wheel/tire shop here in Virginia that may have a set of the 17" Aero wheels. He did when I got a quote from him to repair mine due to a careless tow company scratching mine. I guess it depends on how much you want them at less than 250 Euro per wheel.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well...i have good news:cool:

i found at a U.S. site a set of 17inch aero rims for 717euros.......shipping is not gonna cost me a thing because i have a friend at the reception area of greece's main harbor and he will sneak in the rims for me:cheesy:..........

i am also thinking of getting a set of new tires also........i am very happy with the 225/55/16 michelen primacy hp that i have right now.......i think i am gonna stick to the same ones.......and go for 225/45/17
any better ideas?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here in greece we say that
''when someone finds an obstacle in his life...this obstacle is always for good cause it turns things better than a less good ending''
:cool:

well on my previous post i said that i found a good site from the U.S. to get a set of 17inch aero rims.

today i was informed by a friend that has a friend who owns a car tuning store that someone bought a new aero some days ago........and he changed his 17inch rims and tyres to new sets of 18inch.

the old (practically new) set of 17inch dual spoke aero along with Michelin Pilot Exalto2 225/45/17 is laying on a corner at his shop......
the car has done only 500km (approximately 2 weeks time) and the other guy exchanged these for the new 18inch set to just get a discount.
he asked the other guy how much for all these..........

HANG ON......

500euros...aero rims along with michelin pilot exalto2:eek:

am i a lucky f$kin [email protected]@rd or what?:cheesy:

pics in about 2 weeks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok....tomorrow is the big day.....i am gonna go and install the 17inch aero rims with a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto and change the 16inch 10spoke Linear rims along with the Michelin Primacy HP 225/55/16 94W that i ve been using for almost a year now

i searched a lot and found that this set of rims and tires comes only with 235/45/17
am i right or shall i expect to be surprised tomorrow?
i googled and found this site
http://www.1010tires.com
which has a very nice tire size calculator
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

so......the original tires on my Saab 9-3 1.8i Linear 12/2004 were 215/55/16
for 17inch aero rims and if i dont want to change the behaviour of the car the suggested size is 235/45/17
if i choose on the calculator 225/45/17 there is a 1.5% difference in wheel revs per mile and also a speedometer difference.
does it mean that i am gonna have more gas consumption?

sorry for asking all these questions but i am a bit anxious of doing the right thing for my car.

the rating score of the Exalto over the Primacy ones is much better.........but i dont know for sure how reliable are these calculators with customer ratings.

less than 20hours before i go and change my tire/rims setup.
any last comments or tips?

sorry for another long post but i really feel very comfortable in here with u guyz:cheesy:

p.s. on a previous post i wrote that the new tires will be 225/45/17 .........on way or another (225 or 235) the difference is 1.5%.........do u think a problem exists?too tired to remember the exact dimension (225 or 235) but i dont think there will be much of a problem since they were on another Saab93

·
Registered
562 Posts
The difference in circumference is minimal with either tire size.

When it comes to the 235/45 tires, you may want to take into consideration the slightly bigger rotational mass/less grip on wet terrain compared to the 225s.
The speedometer and, thus, the odometer will be slightly out (with either tire size), but that's nothing a visit at the dealer and a TECH 2 setting can't fix.

Enjoy the new look of your car and don't bother too much with such "minor" details. ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3rd stone from the sun said:
Enjoy the new look of your car and don't bother too much with such "minor" details. ;)
Hey Haris long time no see

u know that where we live sun shines 300 of 365 days:cool:.....and u also noticed me driving very carefully all the time.......when it comes to bad weather i try to stay at home hugging my girfriend and listening to the rain outside the window:lol:
if though i am on a rainy trip i step off the gas pedal and never push the car:nono;

only thing that still bothers me is the comfort of the ride......someone told me that i must be really carefull not to harm the more sensitive 17inch rims on greek roads........but i ve seen people going for 18inch and their rides are also comfortable.....

well.....its going to be my first major upgrade and i think i am taking it more seriously than i should.......

i cant hide my excitement though.......i really hated the old stylish rims i had;oops:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i would never think that i could find myself in such an angry condition.......:evil:

today i went to the rim&tire shop where i have closed the deal for the Aero rims and tires about 3 weeks ago to get the job done.......
and then the guy there told me the deal is cancelled.......

i asked why?
he told me the other guy that sold him the aero set got them back to have a spare in case of emergency.......

i started acting really frustrated......told him to F**k himself because he was so irreliable with customers
and i ll report to all other people i know never to go and buy anything from that chipmunk........:evil:

damn....i am so sad.......
i am 25 and dont have 1800euros for aero rims plus 800euros for a new set of 17inch tires......

that 500euro deal was my saviour..........i am so dissappointed.....for almost a year and a half i wanted to install an aero set........

ffs......i wanted to smash his face........

·
Registered
299 Posts
naaaaaah, the others are all wrong.
theres gonna be a big problem, the ride is gonna be terrible and in rain these wheels are outright dangerous. also i believe since these are scandinavian, elk-infused rims, there is some problem with the scandinavian aluminium not being able to withstand mediterranean climate...

i think your best bet would be to send these rims to germany to an adress i can supply you.

I...
uhhh i mean those people- will take care of the rims and make sure they are mounted to my... uhhh i mean discarded safely and melted down to beer-caps.
you know, thats what we do to foreign cars here. we recycle them and make something actually useful from the materials, like the plastic is melted down to toilet seats, the leather upholstery is used to make lederhosen and soccer-balls, the metal goes to build 3-series and the glass is used for beer bottles.

unfortunaterly korean engines are unrecycable though...

·
Super Moderator
9,227 Posts
he told me the other guy that sold him the aero set got them back to have a spare in case of emergency.......
More like he sold them to someone else for more money..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts