SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I'm looking for some information about installing a 2004-2005 front bumper on a 2003 Aero.

According to the EPC the foam and reinforcing parts behind the skin are different for 03 than for 04-05. Does anyone who's made this change know if the 03 reinforcements can be used with the newer bumper, or if I need to get new parts?

Thanks,

JT

·
Registered
244 Posts
I dont have the info you are looking for, but I have a 2004 aero with the bumper I think you are wanting to install, believe me it looks nice but it is very low and you have to be careful everywhere you go, it will get wrecked on standard size parking curbs and will scrape on ramps. Just a warning on what to expect. Having that bumper causes anxiety. Oh and dont even thing about going through a mechanical carwash with that bumper. It will get destroyed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I suspect it's no lower than the 2003 bumper which has an add-on lip on the Aero. This lip is always getting knocked around on my car, but I suppose it has the advantage of it being replaceable.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hi:

I'm looking for some information about installing a 2004-2005 front bumper on a 2003 Aero.

According to the EPC the foam and reinforcing parts behind the skin are different for 03 than for 04-05. Does anyone who's made this change know if the 03 reinforcements can be used with the newer bumper, or if I need to get new parts?

Thanks,

JT
Both are different. I've heard you could shave down the foam from the '03 version to make it fit - it definitely needs altering though. The reinforcement pieces are mainly to sandwich that big opening in the middle and give it some stability. I wouldn't try to go without those. In the end I just ordered the correct parts so it would be plug and play. I think I did splice in the H8 bulb harnesses as opposed to replacing the whole wiring but that's it. Also, the plastic undertray is different. You *may* be able to alter that to fit, but I don't think so. I think I tried but ended up going without for a while until I sourced that actual one for the '04 Aero.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hi:

Thanks,

JT
Both are different. I've heard you could shave down the foam from the '03 version to make it fit - it definitely needs altering though. The reinforcement pieces are mainly to sandwich that big opening in the middle and give it some stability. I wouldn't try to go without those. In the end I just ordered the correct parts so it would be plug and play. I think I did splice in the H8 bulb harnesses as opposed to replacing the whole wiring but that's it. Also, the plastic undertray is different. You *may* be able to alter that to fit, but I don't think so. I think I tried but ended up going without for a while until I sourced that actual one for the '04 Aero.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did this, besides the bumper you need the lower grilles, fog lights, and a reinforcement grille that goes behind the lower center grille. The foam will fit but the bumper but it creases under the headlights. Its unnoticeable unless you own the car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Interesting -----I've done this exact job. No mod required. Electrics were plug & play.

Ordered parts for the 04 Aero bumper with grills/lights etc.--was a direct fit. I didn't have to modify anything --foam insert fitted straight in the new bumper and whole bumper sat exactly where it should on my 03.

--and I haven't damaged it in the 2 years its been on---it looks wickedly low but is deceptive as clearance is very good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting -----I've done this exact job. No mod required. Electrics were plug & play.

Ordered parts for the 04 Aero bumper with grills/lights etc.--was a direct fit. I didn't have to modify anything --foam insert fitted straight in the new bumper and whole bumper sat exactly where it should on my 03.

--and I haven't damaged it in the 2 years its been on---it looks wickedly low but is deceptive as clearance is very good.
Just to echo the above post, I put a 2004 front bumper complete with all grills and fog lights straight onto my 2002 9-5 with no mods at all, direct replacement. I also added a front splitter, this makes it real low.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts