SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had my 2003 serviced the other day (oil change, etc) and had an opportunity to take a 2005 Linear as a loaner for the day. I noticed a difference in how smooth the engine was running in the newer car, especially during the stops at tthe traffic lights (both cars are auto). While I can feel some vibrations in my car (not horrible but too much for such expensive car), the 2005 was as smooth as it gets.

Upon the return of the loaner, I asked the Service Adviser at the dealership to explain the difference. He told me that 2005 models have an "updated" engine.
Is it true? And if it is, can I "update" my engine??:confused:

Thank you.

V

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I wonder if the update is raising the idle 50 rpms. Been thinking about asking for this myself as my car has picked up a good vibration at idle cause of the poly tranny mount.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I wonder if the update is raising the idle 50 rpms. Been thinking about asking for this myself as my car has picked up a good vibration at idle cause of the poly tranny mount.
That and a different PCV setup maybe :roll:

I just had my 03 Aero in for service last week and got a 2005 9-5 Arc for a loaner...noticed the same thing actually, although mine is a stick and the Arc was an auto. Also...there's a 25,000 mile difference between odometers...cars just wear out and break in after a while. I do have to say, I'm glad I got the Aero based on seats alone, much more comfortable. The 2005 Arc was nice and quick though! :cheesy:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raven18940 said:

I had this done a few months ago. It helped somewhat but there is definitely room for improvement...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The 'revised' engine came in for MY04 and as far as I'm aware the '04 and '05 are the same spec.

The only difference I'm aware of is the redesigned PCV system which supposidly finally solved the sludging/oil pick-up problems. As a result, from MY04 onwards the service interval was increased from 12,000 miles to 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
course9x said:
18,000 Miles. Is Saab serious?>!?!?!
It's scary to think that a 108,000 mile car has travelled the equivalent of circumference of the earth 4 times and had just 6 oil changes :eek:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
It's scary to think that a 108,000 mile car has travelled the equivalent of circumference of the earth 4 times and had just 6 oil changes :eek:
I suppose its possible with the synthetic oils today. But and engine is gonna be alot more cleaner and last alot longer if u change your oil (synthetic of coarse:D) at every say 5000kms.

What's the difference in the PCV system of the later cars compared to earlier cars? Can't we use the same system on our olders cars?
I think that maybe Saab won't release an updated PCV fix cause in a few years the extended engine warranty will expire:roll:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Shiston said:
What's the difference in the PCV system of the later cars compared to earlier cars? Can't we use the same system on our olders cars?
Saab completely redesigned the system and it's not practical to convert a pre-MY04 engine.

The design changes required a new engine block, new cam cover, new throttle housing, new oil trap, new check valve and new hoses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts