SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been getting the P0638 code with limp mode non-stop now and the throttle body is not even 2 years old. Had it taken to the exclusive Saab shop in Sandy, UT and after testing it out they said it's an ECM problem and only a new one will work. Price installed is $1400. Anyone have a way to get one cheaper? Are these plug and play when new of do they need programming?

·
Registered
283 Posts
No, not p&p, you have to marry it to your car. Not hard if your happy to get the gear and small tech skills. and certainly less than $1400. Have a read in the tech2 forum stickies. There are tech2 alternatives also listed there. Also a good YouTube video floating around using canflasher, which is probably your cheapest option.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not p&p, you have to marry it to your car. Not hard if your happy to get the gear and small tech skills. and certainly less than $1400. Have a read in the tech2 forum stickies. There are tech2 alternatives also listed there. Also a good YouTube video floating around using canflasher, which is probably your cheapest option.

Ok I am debating sending my current one to Brew City and have them replace it with one of theirs which they say is used. I just wonder what year they are using the ECM from. I don't want another 2003.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Probably the fastest reasonable way is to have someone like Brew City clone your current ECM. You could ask them to use one other than MY '03 since the T8 are all the same.

EDIT: This is a plug and play solution.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So are there any sources still selling new ECM's or are they all rebuilt? My shop claims they are new, but I want to be sure that's what I am getting and not just a rebuilt one from Saab. eeuroparts sells the rebuilt ones for half the price.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
This is the only source I've found.

ECM/ECU 9-3 2003-2011 2.0T B207

EEuroparts sells refurbs for almost the new price. They're $630 vs. $700 for new. :mad:

Last clone I got was $310 from Sage including refurbed ECM. Figure $800 if you send them a new ECM with your old one; clone fee is $99. You can send the old ECM back for the core charge after getting it cloned. Alternatively, you could give the new ECM to your shop folks and have them marry it to the car for whatever that would cost. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can clone your ecu without tech2 with obdlink sx and pc. I Clone my ecu trionic 8 yesterday with a second hand ecu and my var is working perfectly with check engine turn off. The cost will be aprox 250$ with ecu second hand and cables

1 - 9 of 9 Posts