SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically what I need to know is how difficult is it to replace the front rotors and pads on a 2003 Vector? The reason I ask is because I cant spare the $380 my shop quoted me to replace the front rotors and pads until probably June.

My front breaks are at maybe 5% and are starting to grind pretty loud regularly. I can afford the parts, but the labor is just too rich for my blood this month and I've gotta get these brakes replaced. So for anyone else who has done the break replacement themselves, how hard is it?

My fiances Dad is extremely knowledgeable with cars and is willing to help. So I figure with his help it shouldnt be too hard, UNLESS someone here suggests otherwise.

Any success/horror stories would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I did mine last summer so its been a while. I do remember there was something that was a huge bitxh to get off... I believe it was the caliper brackets.

Whatever the case, when I asked the dealership why I had such a proble/ getting them off, they told me loctite is used on them at the factory. Be prepared for pain and agony if yours are as tight as mine were. I think I even managed to break a 2 foot breaker bar in the process. You need a lot of leverage, that is for sure.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually had the rotors replaced once before back in 2006 I believe, so they arent factory rotors on there now. Do you think the shop that did the breaks back then put loctite on as well?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
There is only one screw holding the rotor to the hub after the wheel is removed. I think he meant that Loctite could have been used on the bolts for the brake calipers. If they did, a little heat from a propane torch on the bolt head will loosen it up before you start to remove it... Ron

·
Registered
502 Posts
There is only one screw holding the rotor to the hub after the wheel is removed. I think he meant that Loctite could have been used on the bolts for the brake calipers. If they did, a little heat from a propane torch on the bolt head will loosen it up before you start to remove it... Ron
Yes, it was definately the caliper brackets. I don't have access to a propane torch, so brute strength was my only option.

To the OP, if a dealership replaced the rotors before, then the probably used loctite to put them back on. My shop saiid that's standard procedure for a dealership.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am about to go and pick up my breaks, and plan on doing the job this weekend.

My reason for bumping this thread is because of the link posted in this thread by Jon. In the "How To" for the front rotors it says an E24 torx is needed. The shop Im buying the parts from told me that I will need an E20 torx. Which is the correct size? E20 or E24?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the quick response. And thanks for the detailed thread, I know it will come in handy. Saab Central pulls through once again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts