SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone I have a 2003 saab 95 2.3t with the 5 speed auto. The problem I am having is that I think the trans is slipping in third gear but it only does it at low speeds between 25 to 35 it acts like it has something to do with toque converter lock up, but it does not do it after those speeds. And the speedo never slows down when this happens it keeps on climing the only thing that happens is the rpms go up and then down but only by a couple 100s and does it at the same spot always. so what iam asking is is this normal or is my trans going by by?

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
When was the last time that the oil was changed? And did you use JWS3309 spec oil?

If it's been a long time or if something other than JWS3309 oil was used it's probably time for a 3X drain/fill cycle on the transmission.

What it sounds like is that you have a pressure issue on a 2-3 shift that is causing a flare. This can be pressure regulation solenoid or a shift solenoid. But dirty oil can cause the solenoids to stick and then give weird results. So I'd change the oil, drive it a while and then see what happens. If it keeps it up you're probably in for a transmission, but teh cost of the oil changes wasn't that much. If it makes it go away then you've not spent the cash on a transmission.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Saab later on provided a fix for 2-3 shifting problems by installing a new cover on one of the valves. You will informations about this in WIS.
If this part is not available you can use one from Volvo as well, they use the same transmission.
But I am not sure if this fixes your problem, I know two cars which have this problem. On my car it happens once in a month that during shifting engine speed goes up to 2500-3000 and then gear is engaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have only changed it once and i did not use the mobile one so i think i have the wrong fluid in there. also it is overfull so i will do the fluid soon. i went on the facebook fourms and everyone says its normal i will send a video soon when i figure out how to add a video. like i said it is only at low speeds. i feel like if it was slipping the speedo would stop moving. it is not like the rpms shoot up they just go up by like 200 rpms and then lock in.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
If you use the wrong oil the transmission will likely slip. you will have to do the 3X drain/fill procedure to get all of the "contaminated" oil out since you only get about 40% of the oil out on a single drain.

you don't need only Mobil 3309, there are tons of oil that meet the JWS 3309 spec. It'll be listed on the bottle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what would you say is the best trans fluid to use? advance auto told me to use valvoline recomended for dexron 3 i dont think this is the right stuff and i have only used this once.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Dextron 3 is not the right oil, it was the right oil for the 4-speed in 2001 and earlier cars but not the 5-speed in the 2002 and later.

anything that meets the JWS3309 specification.. Mobil 3309 is one, Toyota Type IV is another. There are now some synthetics that meet this as well. Since Idon't have my 5-speed Saabs anymore I've not been paying attention to what oils meet the spec. Back when I did have those cars I used Mobil 3309 only because my local independent parts store stocked it and it was convenient.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dextron 3 is not the right oil, it was the right oil for the 4-speed in 2001 and earlier cars but not the 5-speed in the 2002 and later.

anything that meets the JWS3309 specification.. Mobil 3309 is one, Toyota Type IV is another. There are now some synthetics that meet this as well. Since Idon't have my 5-speed Saabs anymore I've not been paying attention to what oils meet the spec. Back when I did have those cars I used Mobil 3309 only because my local independent parts store stocked it and it was convenient.
Well I think I will do with that then I hope I didn't do any damage with the fluid I have in there now I only changed 40% of it anyways I will get the Mobil one Thursdays off Amazon

·
Registered
218 Posts
to check the oil level transmission has to be warmed up. depending on ambient temperature it might require 10-15 miles.
For proper measurement the O ring on top of the dip stick should be removed, otherwise the air presses down the fluid level.
Follow procedure in WIS or manual, I think it was 15s in D, then 15s R then P.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to check the oil level transmission has to be warmed up. depending on ambient temperature it might require 10-15 miles.
For proper measurement the O ring on top of the dip stick should be removed, otherwise the air presses down the fluid level.
Well I did that and it was a little over full going to change it Thursday

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the fluid and it was over full but I still have the wrong fluid in it so I'm going to change that Thursday I just hope I didn't hurt anything by having it over full or wrong fluid in it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts