SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2003 Saab 9-3 Wiring ~ HELP!

Afternoon All, I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan and I am looking into putting a computer system into my car. Everywhere I go I see everyone talking about the fiber optic closed system and how much of a pain it is. I don't want to touch the actual stereo, just split the connector for the ACC and constant. I just need to tell the computer when to turn on and off.

Question is am I able to do that easily? And can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Raeorn said:
Afternoon All, I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan and I am looking into putting a computer system into my car. Everywhere I go I see everyone talking about the fiber optic closed system and how much of a pain it is. I don't want to touch the actual stereo, just split the connector for the ACC and constant. I just need to tell the computer when to turn on and off.

Question is am I able to do that easily? And can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure exactly what you're up to with this computer system. If you're only trying to install a PC to use a a stand alone system and not control functions of the car with it, then in should be no problem. You can get switched +12V off of the back of the lighter socket and you can get constant +12V out of the fusebox or any number of places. I believe the fiber-optic system is primarily used to connect the entertainment system components together using the o-bus. (Nav, EHU, ICM, Cd player, and amplifiers)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wiring!

Ahhh, yes! man I feel stupid I didn't even think of taking it from the cigarette adapter, yeah the constant I just ran from the fuse box, now for a slightly tougher question, has anyone tapped into the OnStar as a GPS receiver for the computer? or at least boosted a GPS signal through the antenna on the car?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The only issue with taking switched power from the cigarette lighter is that it is ONLY live when the key is in the on position. If you have DRLs that means the DRLs are on, too.

There is another place to take switched power that's live whenever the key is in the ignition.

See this post for details.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88856

I have my Sirius tuner wired to it. So I can listen to Sirius without having the key in the ON position.

·
Registered
980 Posts
brianl703 said:
See this post for details.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88856

I have my Sirius tuner wired to it. So I can listen to Sirius without having the key in the ON position.
I just checked out your earlier posts regarding the add-a-circuit. Next I threw a meter on fuse #27 in the rear electrical center of my 2006 SC. It behaves just as you describe. I'll be changing my XM receiver to get power from that circuit next time I'm in the mood to make a car improvement. That will work really sweet as my XM Sci-Fi receiver is mounted about 2-feet from there; on the metal portion of the cargo shade that's included on the SC's. This setup allows me to see the channel display in the corner of the rear-view mirror and control it with the remote. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts