SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the fan stopped working. Rather in auto or manual mode it blows nothing.

I did a lot of research and found that some people have sprayed some lube but that its a temp fix and that they just end up replacing it in the long run.

I did take the glove box apart and knocked on the fan to get it working again. This fan has made some noise and has to be on its way out.

So I called Saab and they want $425. Auto zone doesnt carry it. Napa could get one for $225. And the junk yards are all out.

In this case I think it is the fan based on the previous noise. Although everything out there says it could also be the control module.

Any advise on where to buy and what to do would be great.

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
238 Posts
Two things

1. do the repair, taking the fan out and lubing it from both sides while also cleaning the electrical contacts (white distilled vinegar does the trick).

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165760&highlight=blower+motor

It is a time consuming repair (took me around 4 hours) but it is better than shelling over $600 for a replacement fan.

2. Replace the cabin filter housing gasket with bathroom caulk - the original gasket dries out and cracks apart, allowing lots of water to get into the fan, causing corrosion. I'm talking about the plastic frame where you install the cabin filter. Remove the cabin filter then remove the two plastic clips (you'll see how) and pull the whole plastic thing out. Then use a flathead to remove the remaining gasket. Put a bead of bathroom caulk on the plastic along the outline of where the OEM gasket used to be. Reinstall the housing.

I recommend trying this before spending that much money. You'll need a torx tool to access the fan. I recommend one like this:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=_DnFT8aRF-S46gGllv3YCg&ved=0CLIBEPMCMAA

·
Registered
238 Posts
Passenger side, under the hood and adjacent to the glove box. Lift up the rubber strip that runs along the firewall. Then lift up on the plastic trim shelf that runs along the hood. You should see a white filter, and holding it is the plastic housing that we're talking about.

·
Registered
302 Posts
fan motor

If your fan is siezing or has siezed it could have blown the fan speed resistor pack.

It sounds like you need to do the fan fix that rochesta sugested.
Check it works before fixing back in position incase you need a new resistor pack

good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

The fan is working so im hoping it will stay that way. Im just going to leave the glove box off for a couple of weeks.

The funny part about this is my wife doesn't wash her car. But right around the tome this thing broke she did wash her car. I know people are saying that its the water that comes in through the filter housing. I checked out the housing, it just doesn't seem like the water could easily make its way down where the cracked seal is. But then again its water so I gues it will make its way.

Seems like fixing that seal is very important, but not stressed to much.

THanks again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I didn't realize the gasket was the culprit until the passenger floor was wet after a rain storm one day. then the source of my woes was suddenly revealed, like so many M. Knight Shamalan movies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the fan stopped working. Rather in auto or manual mode it blows nothing.

I did a lot of research and found that some people have sprayed some lube but that its a temp fix and that they just end up replacing it in the long run.

I did take the glove box apart and knocked on the fan to get it working again. This fan has made some noise and has to be on its way out.

So I called Saab and they want $425. Auto zone doesnt carry it. Napa could get one for $225. And the junk yards are all out.

In this case I think it is the fan based on the previous noise. Although everything out there says it could also be the control module.

Any advise on where to buy and what to do would be great.

Thanks Dan
I dont know if this is any help but after I removed the glove box i simply removed access panel from beneath the motor and unplugged motor, sprayed with electrical cleaner replugged it in and now it working fine. Happy days I hope urs is as easy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So just as an update. I took the glove box apart, tapped the fan and it has worked ever since. I think its time to put the glove box back on, and seal the leaky part in the engine compartment. No car washes until then.... Thanks !!

Dan

·
Registered
397 Posts
So just as an update. I took the glove box apart, tapped the fan and it has worked ever since. I think its time to put the glove box back on, and seal the leaky part in the engine compartment. No car washes until then.... Thanks !!

Dan
Yes caulking the housing that holds the cabin filter will most likely fix it but I found that hard to get to and adequately caulk. The root problem is that water runs down the windshield and under the black plastic housing that you have to remove to get to the cabin filter. Take a look and the glass ends right above the cabin filter holder.

Since I only change the cabin filter once every 1.5 to 2 years, I opted to simply caulk the gap between the windshield and the plastic. Use a small amount of black silicon and no water will ever get near the cabin filter and hence the fan. Yes you can see it a little but I only did the passenger side and hey, my car is 9 yrs old. I actually used some black silicon gasket maker I had on hand. When time to replace filter, simply scrape off the silicon and reseal it back up after putting in new cabin filter

·
Registered
9 Posts
When mine went out I just sprayed some wd-40 through the cabin filter housing as a quick fix and it worked fine and has been working for over 8 months.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hi, i did exactly like nino neg

from outside and recirculate function off (that opens the "door" for the outside air) spryed w40 and the noise went away.

few weeks ago blower in my other car stoped sometimes and other times working i did the same thing and since that day, always running without problems.

w40 woooorksssss for this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So im back on this thread.

Fan stopped working all together. Im going to try to clean it up some. If not it looks like ill be ordering another one ! Make sure to seal your cars filter area !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the fan motor apart. Cleaned it all up. Oiled, worked, and let oil sit over night as others have done.

It will now spin very slowly when plugged in.

So with that being said I guess im going to buy another. Mine must be to far gone. I dont want to be dealing with this in the middle of winter either so its probably best !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a used one out of an 06 from FL. Cleaned it up a little, and oiled it for one night. The plastic shell already had a hole drilled. Dont know if it was factory or someone else.

Either way I installed it and it works again ! My old one was to far gone. After a week of oiling it would not spin yet.

My cabin filter was a MESS!!

I had a tough time getting the silicone near the cabin filter so I also siliconed near the window as people mentioned to prevent water from entering.

Thanks !

·
Registered
429 Posts
blower motors AutohausAZ.com

part numbers (aftermarket)
manual a/c W0133-1835224

ACM
HVAC Blower Motor
w/o Automatic Climate Control

$152.73

$144.75
<H5 style="TEXT-DECORATION: line-through">$162.20

SALE

</H5>
climate control auto a/c
W0133-1898518

ACM
HVAC Blower Motor
w/ Automatic Climate Control

$399.75

$200.78
<H5 style="TEXT-DECORATION: line-through">$224.99

SALE

</H5>
Not sure what they charge for shipping but you can google the part numbers and find other sources with free shipping. Dont overpay dealer prices for this. I needed an a/c resistor for the fan control. Saab wanted $330. I got it on line for $112 delivered. It was a GM part with a different part number label on it. Same damn part over $200 less!
Hope this helps!;ol;

ps: beware of partsgeek.com. I ordered the blower motor resistor from them, paid for it, then I received a USED part with burnt connectors! Had a hell of a time contacting them and had to pay to ship it back. Cancelled my credit card and had to get a new number so those creeps wouldn't charge me again and made a dispute with the CC company for the charges. Partsgeek finally did issue me a credit, but I got stuck paying to ship it back and delayed my repair time by over a week.:nono;

·
Registered
238 Posts
A few developments with my car.

First, I had a small random squeak over bumps coming from that side. I assumed something with the suspension, bushings, etc. or something in the glove box. After several months of this squeak the squeak eventually began to occur whether I hit a bump or not. I realized it was the cabin fan causing the squeak. So I oiled it again with WD-40 and the squeak went away.

The problem is that the WD-40 is a temporary fix. The stuff dries out too quickly, and as stated by above poster, stinks up the car. Does anyone have any ideas as to a more permanent oil? My blower works fine, just creates some noise. Would hate to spend to replace it. I was thinking white lithium grease or maybe motor oil.

Also, I replaced the bathroom caulk with windshield adhesive. It was some old school strips of black goop that my father had at his auto parts store. Much more permanent than the caulk.

You must remove the white cabin filter box to do this repair properly, then put the caulk or windshield goop around the whole perimiter of the cabin filter box.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Try turbine oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts